Technology Differences : AMD vs Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.
so what is the general concensus on the next windows?? a revolutionary idea with huge holes as usual?? gotta update everyday or people find easy access...

read that link volkanb posted, it states in there that the cpus are made in amd's thing in dresden, germany however on the picture of it it says manufactured in malaysia

I went from AMD XP 2200 to P4 3.0 (800MHZ) w/HT, I agree the HT is no big deal, and I think for right now anything that goes faster than 2.0GHZ will get the job done easily. Until they start making more graphic intensive programs, I think I wasted my money on this big new P4 computer I built. I have used AMD processors since the K6/2 500MHZ. So save your money... cause I don't know what I am using the extra gighert for?!?!?

amd vs intel?

I posted this last night, but didn't get much feedback. This thread is getting some good exposure, and it's the same issue, so... this is open to all, please give your opinion.

Building a new system around either a P4 2.8 ghz 800 fsb or the new Athlon 64 3000+. Both are a few bucks over $200 on newegg.

Is it worth it to "prepare" for the future and go with the new cheap 64 chip and use it for 32-bit apps for time being? Will the P4 still have tolerable performance in 2 years, or will everything be based on 64 bit, and I'm running a 32 bit p4? I use my system for graphic deisgn (not much 3d). Which is a better bet?

Ordering in the next few days... I look forward to some replies.

Like i say, Athlon 64. AMD also announced that the MOBOs now will be compatible with the chips due to be made in 2004 & Q1 2005 so future upgrading could be a good option later on.
In my humble opinion you'll get more processor power for less from AMD and that's something you'll need with graphics design. Also, graphics design application makers are always very fast with being up to date with optimising there applications with new processors.

As for picture saying manufactured in malaysia. well, maybe AMD has a secret 0.13 micron fabrication plant in Malasia and your the first one that found out about it ..... :eek:

Just a thought for all the die hard pentium fans out there.....Check out the Nov/Dec issue of PCUpgrade, they have a sidebar article that talks about the REAL differences between AMD and Pentium, see the AMD's have far better configured chips, which means the data has to travel shorter distances, this is why a 2.0Ghz AMD "looks" just as fast as a 3.0Ghz Pentium....I've said it before and I'll say it again, "It's not the speed of the processor, it's what the processor does with the speed it has..."

omg my 2500+ o/c at 2.3 can surpass a 2.8g p4 and almost outdue a 3.0g p4, having the p4 pump 4x's instead of 2x's does not mean it'll be faster, amd can take bigger chunks faster, p4 can take smaller chunks faster, but when it comes down to it all, AMD RULES!!! go check out some websites about amd vs intel, you'll find great info and most people come out buying amd's... intel really has lost their spot in the business, and that happened almost 2 years ago!!! get with it people

oh hell iv had a freaking nuff of intel vs amd i am a intel fan but amd competes with it just as good as anything.
First things first intel has higher clock speeds/fsb and most of the time die cache. Then amd comes along with there limited 2.2ghz trying to compete with intels superior 3ghz and guess what IT DOES. Its mainly because of amds design which is the reason it runs hotter than intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom