HP PC will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktop89

Baseband Member
Hello all. I'm working on a HP Pavilion a475c. The person I got it from said it did a "hard crash"(whatever that means!). Basically the PC will turn on, but nothing happens after that...not even POST. There's no video feed to the monitor either. Also, I can hear the hard drive spin up. Here is what I have done so far.

1) checked all connections to make sure everything is secure.
2) connected another power supply to the PC.
3) unplugged both cd-drives and the floppy drive and then tried to boot.
4) tried a different video card.

None of these things worked.

5) connected hard drive to my PC. My PC detects the hard drive and I can browse all files on the hard drive.

I leaning towards a motherboard issue right now. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Bert

Does the user have a modem in the machine?
I have had several computers that I have repaired where a lightning storm took out the modem and caused the computer not to post.

Also, remove all PCI cards that are not required to boot up (nic, modem, etc)

If that doesnt work its possible the CPU is dead or that there are motherboard problems.

have you check the memory?? suggest take it and try on another system

btw, hard crash means a hardware failure, it means (at least to me) that the system either no power, not able to POST

in contrast, a soft crash means a software failure, such as IRQ conflict, missing or corrupted files.

of course there are also error that is hard to classify, such as system reboot, which can be either one of it.

POST is the screen when you switch on the computer, and it doing those memory test, state out what BIOS you are using on your motherboard, what device you have, including CPU and devices.

looks like a DOS screen actually :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom