registry problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
I'm running Windows XP, and I got this registry error after I reformatted. I thought reformatting fixes everything. And now my computer doesnt work properly, sometimes it does. I read about reinstalling Windows XP but I'm not sure about it. Any ideas?

There were two kinds of errors, one mentioned something about "C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe". And another I dont remember alot, but it gave a minute countdown, until it shuts down.

what type of hard drive do you have? I have seen reg errors that are casue by bad sectors. Run scandisk. I would actaully do another re-install this time wipe out all the partitions then recreate them. Do a complete format and install windows again.

Make sure that you put in the drivers if you hdd is sata, or you are using an add in drive controller card.

Do a memory test
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
I hear memtest386 is good but the site leads me to spam central, so someone else will need to provide a link as I dont have one.

So I would be installing XP two times? Reinstalling, format, and reinstall again? And the thing is I dont have a XP cd. I have the other HD, not SATA.

Isn't there a way to reinstall XP without using a cd? And I just read about registry error programs that can fix the errors, any ideas on that? What do you recommend?

There are some great aps out there but I have never used them. If you have an hp or dell you there is a special partition that contains the ome version of windows for re-install or restore. The best bet for you would be to go out to your local computer store and buy a legit copy of xp and do the install properly from the cd. I can tell you it will solve most any issue.

you have the lsass virus i'm pretty sure. The virus disables the lsass.exe process. You could try and reinstall windows but before you plug it into the network turn on windows firewall and then get the latest updates including SP2 if you don't have it already.

Someone chime in if i'm wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom