Windows firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
I have Windows XP. My question is simply... do I want Windows Firewall on? or will it annoy me from blocking things I WANT more than it'll help me?

Windows firewall is weak, get a real one like ZoneAlarm (hey it's free!)
or Norton Internet Security if you want the whole package.

i'm with Warez Monster on this one. The XP firewall is the least annoying software firewall i have come across and it works. Ok it is not the most configurable firewall out there but once you have it running you won't even notice it is there.

for what it's worth I use an old copy of Tiny's personal firewall...very unfriendly but totally configurable and effective, it was free too :eek:)

WInxp firewall is fine, but sometimes it can cause imcompatibility issues with some apps.. duno why. But i read up on some things when i had problems after disabling. Best bet would probably be simply enabling it.

jorsoft03 said:
Windows firewall is weak, get a real one like ZoneAlarm (hey it's free!)
or Norton Internet Security if you want the whole package.

You are better off using the windows firewall instead of Norton unless you want your computer to run like crap. Also Norton's antivirus capabilities aren't what they used to be as now some viruses are able to hide from or disable Norton.

Also the windows firewall isn't that bad and is all you need if you have dialup or broadband with a router/hardware firewall.

As for blocking things, most times it will ask you if you want to allow the program to be able to access the internet. There may be a few incompatiblities with other applications but it my experience these are few in number.

I have had an issue with Exchange, with the firewall turned on it slowed down the amount of email that got sent. It took 30 mins for emails to come through when sending internal emails, after allowing the whole outlook program email would be recieved within 1mins. Dont know if it was a funny PC or what, but after doing it on all the PC's (15) it was fine.

if you accident dowload a trojan or virus or just install a program that just want to spy, window firewall won't work. it only block inbound, not outbound attempts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom