Firewall/Antivirus Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

kizzeith

In Runtime
I am running mcaffe antivirus 7.0 and mcafee guardian. Does doing so significantly slow down performance? It seems to...perhaps a recommendation for better software? (other than norton 2004)

I use Zone Alarm and AntivirXP on a 500MHZ system and IMO it only has slight degrade in performance

zone alarm: www.zone-labs.com
antivirXP: www.free-av.com

i like antivirXP because it is a really fast scanner

scan with Norton: 8 hours
scan with AntivirXP: 15 mins
- both scans were with the whole hard drive

edit: with the first scan of AntivirXP it found 28 viruses, with norton's scan 1 week earlier it found none

First if you have a good antivirus most people dont really need the fire wall, try AVG antivirus (www.grisoft.com) free edition for home and personal use.
I have 3 cds of antivirus programs and I use AVG.
I like it so much I bought their pro version, which was a lot less then the others.

no you definately need a firewall whether it is a sofware or hardware like a router. every time i put myself on the DMZ or plug straight to the modem i am infected with a virus within 5 minutes. no anti-virus in the world can take that kind of a beating constantly.

A firewall will only alert you to an outgoing connection.
if a virus/trojan tries to make such a connection you have already been infected. a good antivirus is there to prevent the infection in the first place.

eh ok.. its basic common sense that EVERYONE needs a firewall (software or hardware) and a antivirus app running in the background. software firewalls do block outgoing as well as incoming packets.

for software firewalls i've always used mcafee or zonealarm. however for antivirus apps, i will say if you have a slower machine avg is probably the smartest choice.

dr.dos said:
if a virus/trojan tries to make such a connection you have already been infected. a good antivirus is there to prevent the infection in the first place.

dr.dos from your comments it is obvious to me you do not know anything about firewalls or anti-virus.

dr.dos said:

Sorry, I know it's a little overkill but....
Opinions in forums are one thing, but totally incorrect information is another. I don't know of any firewall out there (software or hardware) that, by default, will only "alert" you of an outgoing connection. If there is one then...well....it's not a good firewall. Some firewalls will protect from both incoming and outgoing and some will only protect from incoming. And to go a little further, not all anti-virus software detects back-door trojans.

-Mike

I stand corrected... ouch...
I must be doing something wrong as I dont have a firewall
only antivirus.
anyway I'll keep reading here and try to learn.
And yes it was only my opinion.
Without a difference of opinion, we might as well be automatons.
maybe others will learn by my mistake by reading these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom