Help! Saving for a new rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekster

In Runtime
I sold my rebuilt dell on ebay ---- I was unemployed. Im working again and going to save to build a new comp for myself. I know I could search the forum for ideas but I want answers that are geared toward my project.

First , the experts here seem to favor amd over intel . Why should I use amd ? Answers like -- amd rocks, are not helpful.

Second, What motherboard manufacturer should I consider?

Third , what video card should I use?

Remember , I am not rich and my user name should be cheapster. I dont want water cooling , or neon cases, or any eye candy, Just an all around good computer.
This is not a thread to argue about brand names without any basis for your claims.

AMD 64 (venice or san diego core) AMD = cost less than Intel and does a better job in games. :)

Mobo = DFI or MSI

Video card = 6600GT - best bang for the buck (i recommend the Nvidia cards even though i personally prefer ATI.) :)

Giga-Byte are pretty nice. They live long, but for overclocking, let's say it ain't the best.

A idea of your budget would be helpful but if you want a good gaming comp that won't need upgrading for a while I'd say go with something like this.

Heres a setup that has socket 939 and PCI-E so you will be able to upgrade without needing a new motherboard.

socket 939 PCI-E $78 Anybody care to shine a little light on this board I just picked it cause it was cheap and had 4 ram slots. A lot of people on here like MSI and DFI.

Amd Athlon64 3000+ venice Retail with heatsink and fan $148

eVGA 6600GT PCI-E $169

TwinMos 512mb (256 *2) ram $45

Total $440 dollars just need a PSU and case. I got a Foxconn case and psu for my uncle for $35. It looks pretty good but I haven't tried it out so I don't know how good it is. But if it is that would keep you in the $475 range. Or you can get a good PSU for $35 and decent case for $20 and that would probably be better.

Thanks dario03 , Thats the kind of info Im looking for. Im not sure I want to spend that much on video. My 64mb geforce handled most of my games . This list is a good start.

If you're going to get a 6600GT, I hear they're pretty power hungry, and also some motherboards take a lot more power too, so you might not want to go with a stock PSU. You can probably get a good Thermaltake or Antec one for around $50 with plenty of power (at least 400W). I've been looking at some new parts too, a lot's changed since I built my last computer 3 years ago. Just a suggestion.

In reguard to PSU's, when I built my computer, Thermaltake was the cheapest in the comparison of good companies (between Thermaltake, Antec, Vantec, Enermax: I was told they were the top 4). I got a dual fan 420W Thermaltake for about $40. I might be lower by now.

Well if you do go with PCI-E then you could get the x300 or x600 or 6600(non gt) for less but they are vastly slower.

But a estimate of your budget, what you want to do, and how high of quality you want your graphics to be would help people give suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom