Should I turn off my PC daily?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I turn my computer off everynight because of security issues, but my parents dont really know much about computers and they leave theirs on all the time. I have not seen any performance differences in the two. If you are concerned about security turn it off, if you have faith in your zone alarm, you do what you want :D

Well, my buddy would tell you to turn it off now! He used to leave his on "Truck Driver" until one night he came home and the Processor fan had stopped and his 2.4 P4 processor did a melt down. I personally think the risk of a fan stopping are something else happening when you leave it on are greater than the risk of cold starts. I have been cold starting my different PC's since my IBM 8088 many years ago to my 2.4 P4 today with no problems, I really think these posts are as mine personal opinions from each persons experience, even if it fried the motherboard from a cold start rush or something like that my buddy could have bought a nice Motherboard for $229.00 what he paid to replace his P4. Me personally I'll take the cold start risk were at least if a fan stops or something is overheating your there to deal with it because your PC will let you know by some sort of malfunction shutdown,lock-up,etc. Bottom line I would just use common sense if your PC is brand new and with a warranty leave it on if it's a few years old never been cleaned a million dust bunnies your gambling

i have 2 computers in a room and they generate so much heat i have no choice but to shut them down when i am not using them. i think its better also because why waste electricity? i had a 2 or 3 year old machine that was turned off and on many times each day and it still works great.

imo.. id turn it off when

1) Sleeping
2) Going to work and no-one else will use it
3) And when im going away for a while.

Those seem just like common sence to me :)

MrBillPro said:
Well, my buddy would tell you to turn it off now! He used to leave his on "Truck Driver" until one night he came home and the Processor fan had stopped and his 2.4 P4 processor did a melt down. I personally think the risk of a fan stopping are something else happening when you leave it on are greater than the risk of cold starts. I have been cold starting my different PC's since my IBM 8088 many years ago to my 2.4 P4 today with no problems, I really think these posts are as mine personal opinions from each persons experience, even if it fried the motherboard from a cold start rush or something like that my buddy could have bought a nice Motherboard for $229.00 what he paid to replace his P4. Me personally I'll take the cold start risk were at least if a fan stops or something is overheating your there to deal with it because your PC will let you know by some sort of malfunction shutdown,lock-up,etc. Bottom line I would just use common sense if your PC is brand new and with a warranty leave it on if it's a few years old never been cleaned a million dust bunnies your gambling

This sounds like a fairly new computer? Don't most all new computer's have temp monitoring and what not...I know my hp pav 531w has temp monitoring in the bios and if it overheats it just shuts the whole system down. hmmm

Don't most all new computer's

There you go! Don't Most "But not all"
Mine don't and it's a 3.0 gig new PC
My buddys did not either I would just call you "Blessed"

I just looked through all this and want to add my 2 cents worth.
Not one person has stated the most important reason for turning off your comp when your not going to be using it for a while.
DUST... thats right dust builds up inside, it can clog your heatsink and cause overheating of the cpu. It also will clog up the power supply over time. I know this cause I fix computers and see a lot of over heat problems.
as for the comparision to ones car, we dont leave our car running all nite cause we need to use it in the morning!
The bottom line, turn it off if your not going to be using it for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom