Drives Letters all mess UP

Status
Not open for further replies.

niteghost

Solid State Member
Reformatted my Primary Partition C:/ and install XP Pro. and it well well , except some issues with some of the Drivers NOT installed. Instead of locating the drivers from the Manufacturer website, "silly " me, I thought Xp Prof. was NOT installed "right ". So, I did another Reformat and Reinstalled and the result is " Disastorous "
Now my Drives are all mess up: C:/ >> F:/ ( Primary Partition )
D:/ >> C:/ ( Second Partition )
E: >> D: ( DVD -RW Drive )
F: >> E ( CD Drive )

BTW, I have done the Disk Management thing to change the Letters

How do I reassign my Drives back to Default, without Reinstalling XP Again.

Thanks

You can ressign the f: drive which has your os on it. Also, go to msconfig, boot.ini and click on check on all boot paths and when it tells you there is an invald boot path, remove it. If you dont have an invalid boot path, you will just hit ok.

Warez Monster said:
You can ressign the f: drive which has your os on it. Also, go to msconfig, boot.ini and click on check on all boot paths and when it tells you there is an invald boot path, remove it. If you dont have an invalid boot path, you will just hit ok.

But how do U do that besides getting into Disk Management. I did not see a Boot.ini when I click on Msconfig. I saw win.ini only Also, it boots well without any problem , just want it set back to default Letters

When you start MSCONFIG.EXE (System Configuration utility), the BOOT.INI tab which usually appears, may be missing.

This may simply be a file permissions issue. You can verify that by typing C:\Boot.ini in Start, Run dialog. If you get Access Denied or similar error, that explains the problem.

Here is another obscure possibility:

Open Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig

Backup the key by exporting it to a REG file

In the right-pane, delete the value named Boot.ini (if found)

Close Registry Editor and open MSCONFIG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom