AIM and kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Col. Mustard

Beta member
I'm not sure where to ask this... actually I'm lucky I made it this far! but here goes... I was wondering, is there a way I can se what my kids are saying on AIM? my son has made a couple new friends recently that he talks to constantly on the computer... I know he uses AIM, but he closes the conversation every time I walk in the room and I was wondering if there is a way to find out what he's saying, and if its at all possible, what he has already said... a direct confrontation won't work because I'm not that good with computers but he is... and I'm afraid he will simply lie and theres no way I could verify his story... thanks guys for any help.

DO NOT BUY A KEY LOGGER THEY ARE NOW ILLEGAL under the new spyware laws called Spyact and I-spy you can read the law here http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h109-29.

It's about personal security and don't recommend spying on your kid as it's an invasion of his personal space back in the day I remember using encryption software just so my folks cannot read what I typed. I've also tried turning off the history recording on AIM. The day my parents put on a tracking software to see what I was saying I knew from the processes and I reformated the whole computer. The good memories of the past....

If you want to spy on your kid just check the built in history feature on AIM. I'm sorry I couldn't help more as I use a multi messenger that is different than AIM.

thanks, but... what built in feature do you mean? as I said, I'm not too good with computers... could you explain a bit? I mean... I'm not sure what his 'friends' are saying... he's been getting into some trouble lately and I want to se whats going on, since he talks so much on there... thanks

I'm sorry I use Trillian a multi messenger that uses AIM MSN YAHOO ICQ and more in the same software bundle. But since most programs are the same I'm guessing the AIM history can be viewed by clicking the options buttion on top of the AIM program once it's running.

I'm sorry I do not use AIM for my messenger AIM is popular though and I'm sure many members here will be more than happy to search for the AIM History and they will tell you how to get to it. Just give it some more time for members to post.

its in the aim file.
C\programfiles\AIM\history

browse around in the aim file for it, you should come across it sooner or later

Ok

Click on Start, then click on My Computer, Then click on a icon called C:/, Once this is done click on a folder called Program Files, in here you will see all the software installed on the computer click on a folder called AIM, now click on a folder called History, click on any file in here to see the history logs. It should include text that he sends and text others sent him as well as pictures they sent each other.

If he uses encryption I can't help you.

He disabled history perhaps but there should still be a folder called history regardless of whats in it. Again I don't use AIM and I'll leave this conversation for other members.

It sounds like he is a trouble maker have you thought of just blocking him from signing on to AIM that would be easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom