Old Dell XPS, want to upgrade a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does the socket say? Does it say LGA370? Cause thats the socket for PIIIs. You can also look up all this information from dell by typing your product number in their support page. The product number is a sticker on the back of your computer.

Finally, I have to say that idiotec is right. I contacted customer support a few weeks ago and asked them if they modified their mobos to accept only dell ram. They responded by saying that I could use any ram from any compnay as long as it was 184 pin DDR.

P.S. Check to see the maximum ram allowed on your motherboard. Some motherboards only allow 2 sticks of 256, while others will allow 2 sticks of 512. Also, don't overdo things. Getting the 6600GT for your old pIII dell is a waste. FX5900 should do.

Getting the 6600GT for your old pIII dell is a waste. FX5900 should do.
dude if hes gonna spend the money to get a 5900 then he might as well buy a 6600GT. Dont you guys realize how much 5900's are? they are way over priced still so get a 9600XT and it will run good. hell get a 50$ 9550 lol. what ever you do dont et a 5900 cause its just to much money on a crap (or what ever you wanna call it) computer.

P.P. Mguire said:
dude if hes gonna spend the money to get a 5900 then he might as well buy a 6600GT. Dont you guys realize how much 5900's are? they are way over priced still so get a 9600XT and it will run good. hell get a 50$ 9550 lol. what ever you do dont et a 5900 cause its just to much money on a crap (or what ever you wanna call it) computer.
The 9xxx ATI cards are good and did out perform the 5xxxFX series. So something from that range might not be bad. The 9600Xt is actually a really good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom