computer lag at all times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD inside all

Baseband Member
im not to sure whare this woudl belong because i have no idea whats causing the probleim but even as im just typeing right now my computer keeps laging for about 10-20 second periods and it doesnt matter what im doing i belive its my motherboard but im not sure.

anyone who has a sugestion to this please reply because i have no idea what to do, and its getting me really pissed and sad.

thanks-Tomek

Odds are it is something running in the background.

Scan for adware/spyware first. Use SPybot, AdAware, and MS AntiSpyware (all free). You can also go to trendmicro.com, click the link for the free online scan, and opt for the beta scan (virus, adware).

Click Start, Run, type "msconfig", click Startup tab, uncheck everything but your firewall, anti-virus, and anything you absolutely have to have. Click Apply, OK, reboot.

See if that helps.

Great advise! You might want to invest in a anti-spyware package like aluria or xcleaner. Addtionally, running a professional deframentation + program like diskkeeper pro 9.0 will save you a whole bunch of agony. Deframent the drive as well as the above advise. If you have 256 mb of mem or less and alot of stuff running in the background you probably have a system slow down because of a very fragmented and over used page file.

is your ocmputer overheating? Performance goes down alot when the comp is running hot and if you have some junk background program running then it can cause alot of lag. Also how much RAM do you have?

i formatted about 2 hours before i posted that but i still did the msconfig and when i went to reboot it bios said missing nclrb or whatever the windows file is. so i went to formatt and put windows on but after the first setup it again said missing nclrb when my comp rebooted to go into the 2nd part of the windows setup.

so then i tried it again with a different xp cd same thing, so i went into bios and underclocked everything as much as possable after i reset cmos.

tried to put windows on again and same problim when it was going into the 2nd setup, missing nclrb so now im thinking its my hdd but im going to try taht when i get home.

its the hdd or my motherboard i can understand the motherboard because it was shit since the day ibought it

and my system is an
amd athlon xp 2600+ (1.9ghz)
512mb of pqi power ram
biostar m7something 400 (not positive of model number)

with that said i dont think its a software problim unless its a windows probleim but im not to sure iv never had anything like this happen before.

I replaced the ide ribbion bam works perfictally except when i was installing all my software and setting it up the way i like my comptuers set up it froze 2 times but its been alright since i havent tried to switch the hdd i just changed the ide and i do feel really stupid, normally its the first thing i do when divices dont work but i dont know im just happy it works now.

thanks but anyone who reads this and still has an idea post it because im not sure if the problim will come back.

thanks everyone.

Alright i squared away the probleim it was my crapy thin 40gig maxtor, dam i hate those hdd's iv killed 2 in about a week. one i just transfered from one comp to the other but im happy it works now. thanks blacktop89

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom