my scratched windows xp cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

burned-ati

Banned
ok i gotta windows cd its a bit scratched because when im installin it on a freshly formatted drive it says it has to skip a couple files like k6/driver cab and well if i goto eb games and pay 5 bucks they clean it .. is it worth it? will it work correctly if i get it done or will it just leave me with wasted 5 bucks and a shiny cd?

It really depends on which side is scratched. The data is belive it or not stored almost on the top (right below the label) the rest is plastic to give it some durability. If the top is indeed scratched you might as well throw the disk away. If the bottom is scratched you have a couple more options. One is to get a filler that will fix minor scratches on a CD. The other option is to get something like CD Doctor (i think that is what it is called) which i think smooths out the scratches. If EA offers to fix it what is there policy if they can't fix it. I would check that out. Also you could check around your local used game shops. A lot of them have repairers on hand and if they are nice they might even do it for free while you wait. Hope that helps.

-Aaron

Top Tip.
I've been using metal polish to restore scratched cd's and dvd's for years, some of which were completely unreadable. I use Brasso (in the UK), but anything similar with a very fine abasive should work. The method is to use a clean cloth with some polish and work round the disk in small circles from the inside to the outside, never in circles right round the disc.

burned-ati said:
ok i gotta windows cd its a bit scratched because when im installin it on a freshly formatted drive it says it has to skip a couple files like k6/driver cab and well if i goto eb games and pay 5 bucks they clean it .. is it worth it? will it work correctly if i get it done or will it just leave me with wasted 5 bucks and a shiny cd?

sometime that just happen because you got a crappy cd-rom. I had that problem on two people computer that I fixed. putting in a different cd-rom fixed it
try a different kind first

well its scrathed on the bottom but its only minor. its so light of scratching it seems like it would install it flawless but yes indeed i do have a cheap cd-rom lol i will clean my cd rom lens and get the disk cleaned but i just bought windows xp home edition today so im not in to big of a hurry. thanks for all the help tho!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom