new CD drive not visible

Status
Not open for further replies.
tarantulatarama said:
sorry shoob, I'm not a 'virgin techie' (how do I change this?!)
Well, that depends on what you want it to do. You see, there's various levels of users, based on how many posts you have. Everyone starts out as a virgin techie. As you get more posts, yer user type changes.
You can also directly edit yours to say something else, in your profile setup, but if you do this, the text you put in will no longer change as your post-count increases.

tarantulatarama said:
Which slot - the physical space the drive occupies? nothing else.
So yer laptop had just an empty slot? You didn't have a drive in there before? Hmm.

Anyway, you said the light's coming on and it's spinning when a disk gets put in, so I doubt the drive is hosed. Make sure that:

1. The drive is the correct kind of drive for your particular laptop.
2. That the Windows hardware search doesn't find it. If it does find it, yer on track.

hmm: dos doesn't see the drive. there is also no 'new hardware blah blah dialogue'. Like the lights are on buit no noe's at home. Literally - the light is on (disc spins etc. so there's power) but no disc reading.... a bust disc drive?!?!?!??

Still haven't had drivers sent, BUT if the computer doesn't register a new bit of hardware then something is awry.

thoughts?

tarantulatarama said:
hmm: dos doesn't see the drive. there is also no 'new hardware blah blah dialogue'. Like the lights are on buit no noe's at home. Literally - the light is on (disc spins etc. so there's power) but no disc reading.... a bust disc drive?!?!?!??

Still haven't had drivers sent, BUT if the computer doesn't register a new bit of hardware then something is awry.

thoughts?

Two things spring to mind:

1. See if there's a firmware update for the drive.

2. Get the model number for the drive, and see what you can dig up about it in relation to your laptop. You can even try contacting your laptop maker and discuss the matter.

If the drive is spinning and operating, then I doubt the drive is bad. There's a miscommunication going on between the drive and your laptop. This is where you must look for the solution.

yeah still no response from drive manufacturers about drivers, I'll call them again.

Laptop maker braindead (box sellers - time computers. 'ner, ner, ner, we don't support this, that, yadda yadda')

tx

ShoobieRat said:
What the person probably meant was that Windows would have a driver for it, thus you wouldn't need a CD or disk with the drivers.

I know this is a super late response (I've been away) but did you read the sentence after the one you quoted? :confused:

If the light is on for the CD drive but the OS is not reading it, it most likely means that there is a driver conflict. If it hasn't been fixed yet...

Did you try finding drivers here:

http://www.driverguide.com/

There are some CD224E drivers here (for different OS versions) but I'm not sure if they work:

http://www.cdrom-drivers.com/companies/1030.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom