Who Wants to Build a Phase Change?

Computer Technology Forum > PC Technology Zone > Windows Operating Systems and Softw

• Norton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • McAfee

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
I noticed that after I started posting about phase change, some people got rather interested in the subjkect. I was wondering how many people REALISTICALLY would like to build a phase change. They are very cheap, in many cases cheaper than a water cooling setup. If you could find directions, would you build one?

I would honestly be interesting in building one, the deciding factor would be money and if it is cheaper than water cooling then I would be all about it.

It really is cheaper, very cheap. Actually, it all depends on a few things before you can say it is cheap. You have to get the parts (compressor, condensor, evaporator, all the parts of an AC unit) first. You can get an AC unit from someone for free usually when they think it is broken. More often than not, they have just lost their charge and need to be recharged. Not difficult. All a phase change system really is when you boil it down is a modified air conditioner.

If you have the air conditioner, than the other things you have to buy wil come at minimal cost. An evaporator (you can buy one for $100 or make one for $5 or anywhere in between) capillary tubing ($10-$15) and some elctronic stuff and miscellaneous. I've seen them done for as little as $65.

I probably will give phase change and some other hardcore stuff a try in the future. I'm more into water though, I wanna make some custom blocks and maybe get into some peltiers and chilled water, phase change is still a long way away.

gaara said:
I probably will give phase change and some other hardcore stuff a try in the future. I'm more into water though, I wanna make some custom blocks and maybe get into some peltiers and chilled water, phase change is still a long way away.

If you make a chilled water setup, you also pretty much made yourself a phse change system. In the simplest of terms, a chilled water system is taking the evaporator from a phase change or air conditioner and dumping it into the resevoir for your water cooling system. Granted, you will have to do some thigns to the water to prevent it form freezing and also sopme things to your system to protect condensation (as you would with phase change) but that is really it. And a phase change block (the evaporator) is remarkably similar to a water block. Only difference is it is made from pure copper (the entire thing) and it is bigger. I've seen many a evaporator made from the TDX and RBX and Maze4 blocks over at dangerden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom