Microsoft Internet Explorer Security Issues with NT and 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

KornNut

In Runtime
These are office PCs on a large domain, so going with Opera or Fire Fox is not an option considering that it is company policy to use IE.

I am trying to access a website that requires ActiveX Controls to be allowed to be downloaded and installed. I need to run this page on both NT and 2000 machines.

For the Windows NT machines

Windows NT will not allow me to change the security settings at all even if I am logged in as administrator. I can not change the security level (low medium high etc). When I try to add a website to "trusted sites", everything is greyed out. The activeX controls for certain websites are not installing.

For the Windows 2000 machines

I am able to change the security settings. However, even if the site is set as a "trusted site" and the security settings set to low, the activeX controls are not installing here as well.

PLEASE HELP!!!! :) :)

you must have a group policy in place affecting that. That would have to be changed on the ad server (2000 server) or the pdc (nt domain)

I am positive that it is not a group policy. Administrators have the right to do whatever they want without any restriction.

As for the issue of setting the security on NT, I am positive that it can be fixed by changing a registry key. Any idea where and what registry key this is?

Still having the ActiveX control installation problem.

I would also like to note that ActiveX controls work for other websites, except for a select few.

I had an issue like that before and it was because the activex control busted when it failed to load. You need to in and delete them. The page should reload it if everything is ok with ie. Do you have any antispyware or antvirus with ie options? If its not a gp or a local security policy that has been setup (look for login scripts too) then it has to another security application or even a virus. IE is activex enabled by default.

We do not have any antispyware on any of our machines.

We do have anti-virus, but it only scans the machine for any viruses, it does not control internet access or connectivity. All of our antivirus and firewall options are controlled by a websweep server which authorizes certain URLs.

FINAL UPDATE:

It was a firewall issue.

NOT on the websweep server, but on the physical 48 port router.

Stupid router. It was giving a static entry and wasn't able to go out to that segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom