quick question.....what exactly is overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostmanTech

Solid State Member
sorry to everyone out there who thinks this question is a waste of time.....haha.

just im reading this alot and would like to know what it exactly means.

In a nutshell, trying to get components to "work" at their full potential. These days, it's really easy to "tune" the components to your liking - the darn things almost do it themselves ;)..

Why doesn't the companies just "release" them at their best settings?.. Has a lot to do with the unpredictability of "other" components in your system. It's not really feasible to run a CPU at a higher clock speed with the heatsink/fan they give you in the package.. Also, you have no idea what the underlying mobo is going to be.. The specifications are pretty standard.. But usually the companies make the components "more overclockable" for those people who have the right tools to do it with.

One would argue that this is a business decision as well.. Sortta trying to "please" the overclockers if you will. In every batch of components they manufacture, there will be ones that are greatly overclockable, while others not so good.. But pretty much all of them "could" be overclocked "somewhat" more "assuming" the right environment (case, fans, etc.).. But, the companies leave it to us since they have no idea what we have :)..

Anyways, your question was not re: the business merits about why the companies do things.. So I'll stop :)..

each processor has a multiplyer, voltage, and fsb...(and other stuff of course)

if you set these /\ higher(could be swiches on the mainboard or settings in the bios) the clock speed goes higher and gets hotter... this usually requires a better cooling system depending on how hot it gets and if it gets to hot then it will become unstable...

lostmanTech said:
thanks alot. answered my question beautifully.

No problem.. :) As for why my message is appearing after your reply to it is because I double posted by accident. lol.. Deleted the original one, but you had already "replied" to it..

In anycase, I think companies realize that there is a good amount of people that enjoy the "thrill" of overclocking.

They usually produce these components in batches and sortta rate them as being able to produce a particular performance level. There will be ones that are "better" than others.. It's just the luck of the draw as to which one is better. But, "all" of them should be overclockable to a certain extent.. But they don't do this. They leave "us" some room since the other components in ur system will vary from person to person and they have to cater to the common denominator..

And remember.. With overclocking, cooling is essential!

try overclockers.com and read the beginners guides...careful though, some of it is pretty old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom