A n00bie overclocker

Status
Not open for further replies.
After thinking about this for quite a while i think you are correct, i read somewhere it is vital to have a good PSU while O/Cing. I thought i'd have a look at what my PSU was putting out and i found:

+12V Rail-11.92V
+5V Rail- 5.11V
+3.3V Rail-3.26V

This could be the whole problem, I also read that having a +3.3V at 3.26V or lower is not a good idea to O/C. I'm thinking about getting a new PSU anyway so i'll check out the specs when i do.

Drworm2005.

+12V Rail-11.92V
ouch, yea id say thats your problem right there man. I have my regular raidmax PSU w/ 13amps on the 12v rail and i think that is fine for me even though i shouldnt be pushing it w/ all these 12v fans lol. but yea, there is your problem.

I cant move my multi, i just put my fsb at 200 and it put my clock at 2.3ghz. thats one thing i hate about these cpus is the multi is locked
Duh, what am I thinking....I forgot that it's normally 166FSB, score one point for nubius :p

BTW - Showing 11.92 on the +12v rail is completely normal......there's always up to 5% fluctuation which would be .6 which would mean down to 11.4 I'd say if your PSU starts hitting in the 11.65 and below area you should start worrying.

Your +5 and +3.3 look a tad worse but even then it's not drastic unless you just overall have an old or otherwise not great brand named PSU

mies rated at 13 and drops to 12.5 that any good?
??? when somethings 'rated' it's talking about Amps....and it'd always be at +12v line that's rated that way....

So if your +12v line is rated at 13 amps then it's going UP to 12.5 not coming down to it.....otherwise you're saying you have a 13v rail.

I've seen a few peoples shoot up before and not have problems....don't really know what to say is happening in those situations unless the PSU is just crapping out and outputting way too much or the voltage reading is wrong or something

I need to go in with my multimeter to check mine out actually....don't think I trust the voltage monitoring on this board as of yet

PP - you aren't following here......the +12v line is being read...not the amperage......when looking at voltage monitors it'll read +12 so yours is going UP to 12.5

Mine has 22a but it's not showing 22 in the voltage monitor.

There aren't monitoring programs that watch the amount of amperage in your system

LOL, at least it isn't as bad as my old mobo.

psu3md.jpg

Drworm2005.

Yeah but that looks like it's from speedfan which generally sucks IMO.....if your +12v rail was only putting out 3v your computer wouldn't be operational in the least bit :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom