i have ddr333 is it worth the money to upgrade to ddr400

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD inside all

Baseband Member
ok well here is my situation i have an amd 2600+ with a horrably motherboard named biostar mainboard m7ncg 400 which only supports ddr333 highest. the ram i have no is pqi power series 1x 512. im going to do a lot of gameing and 512 is just barely cutting it id liek to upgrade to 1gig i want to know if it is worth getting a new montherboard to be able to run ddr400.

any oppinions and facts will be greatly oprichiated.(can't spell)

1gb will help smooth things out....going from 512mb PC2700 to 1gb of PC3200 you'll notice a difference, but that's because of the added memory plus a little speed boost....there wouldn't be a huge drastic change in going from PC2700 but combined with the added amount you should notice a nice effect.

Your AMD2600+ however is only 333FSB, so your RAM will technically be running faster than your CPU which means you'll have a bottleneck.

You should get something like these:

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820218062

and then in your new system underclock them from PC3200 to PC2700 speeds with tighter timings....that's about the best thing to do honestly...but you wouldnt really need a new mobo to do that unless you plan on upgrading your CPU to something like the 3000+ XP down the road

well i seem to be haveing problims with the ide driver on my mobo (i wonder if their is any way to fix this other then updateing bios and getting the newest drivers) so thats makeing my comp a bit slower. But i wonder if i should just upgrade my processor to a 64bit new mobo and ram. i dont know if its really going to be worth the 300$+

what do you think?

well I recently moved up from an XP-Mobile rig and it's a nice difference in gaming...primarily because the AMD64's have a much greater memory bandwidth than the XP series...

$150 on a 3000+ AMD64 Venice
$125-$150 on an Nf3 socket 939 mobo
$84 on that RAM I linked and you'll be stylin in speed.

350W PSU won't hold much, especially if you want a good video card. Sure there are cheaper mobos, they just aren't as good.

i pretty much have to upgrade my whole computer and i sadly know that the only thing i really dont need to upgrade badly is my vpu i have an ati radeon 9600xt and im happy with it so far. but for now i think ill just keep my processor and mobo and save for a 300gig hdd or a 200gig a better power supply then some ram and if its not next year by the time i afford all of this then ill go for a 939 and taht dfi nf3 mobo. but thanks for all the replies i got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom