Is water cooling worth it? Is it effective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calzinger

Beer
I built this new PC a few months ago, and I noticed that I've been constantly running some high temperatures. My GPU runs around +50 C idle and into the high 80s under load. I hear that this is average, but that GPU fan gets incredibly loud at times.

I have heard that water cooling reduces temperatures to a great extent, especially when under load.

My cousin recommended to me that I get Thermalright's XP-90 for my CPU to take care of the hot CPU temperatures. It's supposed to bring a similar effect as water cooling on the CPU, except it will run hot when under load whereas water cooling will still reduce temperatures under load.

I have read the water cooling guide sticky, but I still have some unresolved questions.

My main question is, well, what the title is.
  1. Is water cooling worth the money?
  2. How much would I be looking to spend for an effective system, but not ridiculously expensive? (definitely cooling GPU & CPU)
  3. Does water cooling greatly increase the ability to overclock?
  4. Does it reduce noise if you cool all "fan-noisy" components (GPU, CPU, chipset)?
  5. Will I need a setup specifically designed for the water cooling system? Or will my case do (look in sig for case)? It's a full size tower, very big.
Thanks for the help guys.

Is water cooling worth the money?
Guess that's all a matter of perspective...I enjoy my setup...brought my CPU temps down by about 10C+ from load temp....mainly because of summer being here and all the temps started to hit above 50C on my previous system under load whereas with water cooling it'd be 39C or 40C

How much would I be looking to spend for an effective system, but not ridiculously expensive? (definitely cooling GPU & CPU)

Pump = $75
CPU Block = $50
GPU Block = $50
Heatercore/Radiator = Can be anywhere from $50-$100 depending on what you get....guy over at Xtremesystems.org sells custom made heatercores (comes out of cars, about the size of 2 120mm fans) for about $80 or so depending on where you live the shipping will be different of course.
Tubing = Depends on what tubing you get, tygon is the best and most expensive at around $2.75 a foot I believe.
You can also mod your own heatercore...you'd want the 2-302 1977 bonneville heatercore and this guide: http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=228

tells you a couple ways of modding one.

To save money and space you can get a T-line instead of a reservoir.....exactly like the name suggests it just T's off from the tubing and you fill that extra space up with water.

Does water cooling greatly increase the ability to overclock?
Over stock cooling yeah....over a good air solution it'll get you better temps, but not low enough temps to give an overclock with less voltage....it would take sub-ambient temps for that...however you'd be able to run at higher Vcores and higher clocks because temps would be lower.

Does it reduce noise if you cool all "fan-noisy" components (GPU, CPU, chipset)?
Chipset isn't even worth it to bother cooling, it just restricts flow in your setup....of course getting rid of fans will make it more silent though, however it also depends a little on what fans you get to cool your radiator/heatercore....obviously if you get really powerful ones without a fan controller they will be somewhat loud.

Will I need a setup specifically designed for the water cooling system? Or will my case do (look in sig for case)? It's a full size tower, very big.
You put a water cooling system wherever you can fit it......just depends on where you decide to mount the radiator/heatercore, pump and how you make the tubing wind and things like that.

My GPU BTW was running 430/1150 (6800GT) and wouldn't get above 51C on full load, and would idle at around 48C....so the delta (distance between idle and load temps) is MUCH smaller on a water cooled system.

What brands are most reliable for each part? I keep seeing Swiftech and Danger Den. Which are most reliable? (lasting a good long time)
Where should I look to order these parts? I know heatsinkfactory.com and frozencpu.com, but froogle is a bit sketchy. Maybe that "All the links" sticky will be of use.

@Nubius
Looks like water cooling can definitely bring my hardware into the safe zone. It seems like 50 C is an average load temperature on a graphics card for a standard water cooling system. That would bring my temps down by 30 C!

As far as price, if I go relatively cheap (less than $200), will I lose a noticeable difference in temperature performance than if I spent more money on a better system? I was told that with a water cooling system, you never buy another one so it's good too last. This might lead me to spend more, but if I can get this "30 C reduction" with a relatively cheap system, then I might as well save money.

I really want to save as much money as possible. In this case, I want to spend as much money as I need to to get a value degree of performance. For instance, there is no reason to get an Ultra when a GT can act as an Ultra or more for $150 less.

@gaara
I took a look at that previously (as I said in my original post). It's a great guide, but it just lacked some price figures (assuming I didn't forget to read anything).

Danger den, I have heard nothing good from Swifttech. Apparently they are just liuke getting a kit, for the n00b and not advisable from the experienced computer user. Although, I could be wrong.

IMO, water cooling is VERY worth it. I mean, you get better temps, more often than not a noise reduction. And plus you can say that your PC is water cooled! I mean, i STILL have people comming up to me and saying "Did you know that they have kits to water cool your computer now?" I've had my water cooling kit for nearly a year, and have been well aware about the existence of water cooling for several years now. The bragging rights by themself are almost worth the money!

I have heard nothing good from Swifttech
Swiftech is good, they make the MCP650/D4 pump from dangerden. I've got the MCW6002 block and have read it's less restrictive than the TDX, however they are both about the same. I may get a TDX and possibly an MCW50 and compare them to the maze4 and the 6002 in performance.

I was not aware that swiftech made the D4 pump, tahts cool. I guess I was talking about their blocks, as I've heard that they suck,a nd I was applying it to everything.

Then I here have a challenge (or maybe not) for you guys.

I would like to spend no more than $200.

I need an effective water cooling system that will bring down my temperatures an effective amount. Note that my GPU runs in the 80s C when under load and in the 60s while idle. That shouldn't be too hard to decrease.

I would like the names of specific parts, their brand names, where I could buy them, and how you would consider them of quality compared to other parts on the market (best out, standard, etc.).

I would also like a setup "blueprint". I have the Silverstone Temjin 6 which is a full size case. I can only assume that this extra space will make it much easier to install a water cooling system. Here was my idea, but keep in my that I have no idea what connects to where, what other parts I might need, and if there is even enough room.

This was my idea:
waterCoolingLayout_01.jpg

Remember, I have no idea what kind of parts I need, how large these parts how, and how they need to be connected!

Thanks for the help guys! So far you have been more than enough, but I agree that this may be asking too much perhaps?

Alright, since we are on a budget, we will cut a few corners. We will do away with a resevoir, and replace it with a T line. instead of an Iwaki, we will go with the next best pump for the money. You will have to get your own radiator and mod it yourself (save like $50). You will have to go to Home Depot and get tubing, in order to save around $10, and then go to the super market and get a gallon of distilled water for $1. These are the parts and prices that I bel;ieve will be best for you in your given situation:

AquaXtreme 50Z-DC12 Mag Drive Inline Pump - $75 (comparable to an Iwaki, and better than the Dangerden D4)

DD TDX AMD Opteron/A64 CPU Water Block - $50

Danger Den Fillport Tee Cap Kit- Black - $12

http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=228 Go there to learn how to mod out a heatercore. The one in the guide you can find here: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1040252&parttype=6864 - $21

You could get the one for the 77 Bonneville such as Nubius suggested, but I was unable to find that one, and this is the one that I have.

You hgave to go to Home Depot and buy the hosing, I couldnt find it on the website. It is also a ***** to find in the store, I think it is in the elctrical department for one reason or another.

Brass Version MAZE4GPU - $50 - For your GPU

So you are looking at a little bit more than $200 for a terrific water cooling system.

Hope this was enough, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom