The external video card theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterShazbot

Baseband Member
I've been thinking about this idea for some time, and it might work. Than again, it might not, but it would make an interesting experiment.

With today's new video cards, size and heat are two very nasty problems new video cards will have to deal with.

The external video card would allow very, very hot cards, like the 6800 series, to run at very cool temperatures. It would achieve this by using a very large number of fans, copper heat pipes, and any other device that could help keep a card cool.

The card, in this case, a 6800 ultra, would sit inside of a mount at the center of the case. An external AGP or PCI cable would plug into the card, and into the mobo, like a harddrive or CD-rom. Inside the box, which has glass panels held toghether with aluminum, there are a lot of copper heatpipes absorbing the heat from the video card. Fans all over the case would pump cool air in, and suck hot air out. The case would have its own psu to power the card and the fans.

Using this system, you could have a video card any size and shape, and have it run at ridiculously high speeds due to the massive cooling system.

It would look kind of stupid, having a video card in a box ontop of your desktop with a cable running out of it and into the desktop, but it would save you a ton of mobo space and it would keep your card very cool.

I actaully did something LIKE this a long time ago with a harddrive. The desktop was a TINY one, and the HD was too big to fit in it, so I had to cut a hole in the side and have the HD sit ontop of the desktop's side.

That's all.

It could work, but you make it sound so complicated.

I figure that it would be easier to just have a second case just for the graphics cards. Have its own water cooling, PSU, fans, and all, with a mega cable connection to pump the info.

or have 2 compartments like your fridge... the freezer would be where the CPU and Vid cards would sit, and the fridge would be wehre the rest of the crap... the freezer would be made out of aluminum on the sides, and they will be very cold... (like fridge cooling) then, hallow alluminum pipes run from side to side, with some coolant running through... the vid card/cpu would "attach" through a skinny plate, and connect to the pipes... you would get a hell of a cooling that way.. ;)

i have a hell a lot of ideas for problems like this... i'll try some on my PC, but i can't do some of them, since you would need special mobos...

great idea thugh.. ;)

that may end being the only way to move forward with vid tech. They are talking about a physics chip in addition to the gpu and having the vid card to ALL the vid processing. This idea is cool cause like you said you can have any shape and size and do whatever you want to cool it :)

Sort of like the U2-UFO from MountainMods.com?
U2UFOO.jpg

http://mountainmods.com/index.php?cPath=21

yeah that would be cool. Put lots of leds and shit on it even a cool small lcd with temp readings and voltage and stuff on there :)

yeah, but we need to have the CPU in there too, CPU's get really hot, especially if you overclock... my CPU almost turned off cuz it got to 60 Celsius, and it wasn't even that hot that day...

@ Trotter

HOLY SHAZBOT! that's one . . . big . . . thing! It's supposed to be a extra large desktop, right? That still won't solve the problem for good, because what if your new card is too big / oddly shaped to fit in it?

Althought that . . . device has the right idea, its supposed to only work for the video card, nothing else. (I can only think of CPUs as far as heat generation goes, but those have to stay on the mobo for now.)

How about we place the gpu in an enclosed liquid nitrogen encapulation and it can run at -180 dgrees kelvin!!!!!! :) :) :) an electron "frictionless" enviromnment!!!

-180 kelvin? isn't 1 kelvin absolute 0? isn't absolute 0 the coldest anything can get? (been a long time since sci 12 LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom