Removing CPU... need tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
As the thread says, I am removing my CPU (LGA775) to return my motherboard. I need tips and help, any and all. What are the common npitfalls? What should I do about the thermal pad/paste? Should I clean the die and HS off now (when I don't have any cleaning materials) or wait a month (when I will be getting the new mobo and the earliest I can work on my computer) and clean it then? What about storage? I do have the little plastic insert that came with the proc, which I suppose will be fine.

Oh, and has anyone taken the fan off the stock Intel LGA heatsink? I want to thoughly clean it and will probably be doing this if it isn't too hard.

If you can't take the heatsink off get a hairdryer and heat it up, then peel it off. Just becareful and don't force anything.

LOL there's no chance of that :) Fortunatly, LGA secures the processor seperate from the heatsink, so I should be able to take off the HS without any issues. I'm just worried about left over thermal stuff touching the pins.

thermal crap isn't going to come anywhere near the contact of the pins since they are in the motherboard....the stuff isn't exactly a liquid that drips everywhere

You're gonna need a claw hammer, a crowbar, and some duct tape.

First, you draw back and...

Twist the heatsink from side to side to loosen it to make sure you don't rip any pins out.

Trotter said:
You're gonna need a claw hammer, a crowbar, and some duct tape.

First, you draw back and...

that's what Intels deserve!!!! mwhahahah!!

jk.. :D :p :)

Umm... that could be bad. Did you open the cpu bar first? Are your pins ok?
As for removing the thermal grease.. I hear urine is a great solvent.*

*please note, if you actually believe this, you're an idiot.

Nubius I know that. Its like a goo, it's very sticky, it can be very strong in holding the CPU to the heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom