DDR duel vs single channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostmanTech

Solid State Member
I have 2 banks of 1 for DIMM modules. i have a 512 in one slot. Im looking to put a 1GB in the other. Does my one GB have to be duel channel compatible or what. I dont know what duel vs single means. Anyone want to explain? appreciate it

Okay. Dual channel vs. single channel is easy to understand once it is explained to you. Basically it goes like this.

On older computers that do not support dual channel, the processor communicates to the RAM via "roadways." Now, since there is only one channel, it only has one "roadway" to travel down. It is in a sense traveling to only one city.

Single channel works like pictured below:

The information can only travel so fast, because it all has to fit down the one path. However, dual channel speeds things up, because it gives two options on how to get to its destination.

See the difference? The two RAM channels can still communicate with each other, but there are two paths that information can take so that it can get to where it needs to go. This makes your system faster overall, because there is slightly less problems with bottlenecking and whatnot.

When your memory says it is "dual channel memory" it just simply means that it will give you the best performance when you have a dual channel board. If you do not care whether or not you use dual channel, then don't worry about it. In any case, to use dual channel, you have to have a motherboard with dual channel on it. The RAM slots are usually color coated with green (for example) as one channel and purple as another channel.

Answer your question?

They have to match in configuration. You need to buy two modlules of 1 gig or another 512 or 3 more 512's to run in dc. Mismatching 1 gig with 512 will yeild sc only! I have 3 512's and they run sc and have just bought another 512 so they will be dc. Not that it is going to make a whole lot of difference for most applications. Must since I have a recording studio project attached to this puter, the dc memeory will help speed up the mastering software only! It won't help you with gaming etc all that much running in dc vs sc, as I understand it.

Ok, 1 thanks to wayniac, very easy to understand....

2.. So if i mismatched my 1GB with the 512 it will only run single channel? But there wil be a difference right?

Also my mobo supports dc....so what is better getting another 512 and running dc or getting a 1GB and running sc?

don't worry about it. single channel is good enough. Dual channel will only help you are planning on running huge audio wave mastering files or cad graphics etc. For ordinary apps it will not make any noticeable (sp?) difference in how you do things on your puter.

By the way, more memory is a great help in riding yourself of page file slow downs on your puter. you can forget about virtual memory slow down by eliminating you puters need to have a page file memory allocation hang-up!!! I have 2 gigs and the page file is never accessed!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom