Replace Celeron with Pentium Processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0torious

Beta member
Hello,

I recently bought a slightly used Gateway 400VTX laptop. Right now the processor is a Mobile Intel® Celeron® Processor 2.2GHz. I've always been a Pentium 4 kinda guy but the deal on the laptop was way too good to pass up. I am looking to replace the Processor with a brand new Pentium 4 laptop/notebook processor. I searched on yahoo and couldn't find much on replacing the processor on a laptop. I'm not even sure if it can be done? I had a chat with a gateway rep and I was told that it could not be done. I was a bit surprised when I heard that. I know this can be done with a regular PC but I'm not sure about a laptop. I really hope this can be done because I've heard some bad things about Celeron Processors. Does anyone know anything about doing this? Can it be done with by simply taking apart the laptop, unhooking the old processor and putting in the new one? Where can I buy a Pentium 4 processor for a laptop? Any help or info on this would really help. I need this info a.s.a.p so the sooner the better. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Evan

Unfortunately, laptop land tends to be a dark and scarry place. I would think, as you do, that it should just be a matter of swapping out the cpu's.
If you are really wanting to do this, check with a local computer service center that has experience with laptops. They should be able to give you an un-biased answer.
As far as a Celeron is concerned, the main difference is the cache memory size. P-4's have more.
There are a LOT of Celeron's out there that are workin' away!
I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I agree. Hearing that a certain processor is "bad" is one thing. But, there are plenty out there working fine. If your laptop is working fine, then don't waste the extra money to throw another processor in there. I have swapped out a processor before in a laptop and I know that is can be done, but I also know that people charge lots of $ to do it.

-Mike

As long as your motherboard is compatible with the Pentium 4, go for it.
I know how you feel, and if you found a decent Pentium 4 to put in that will outdo the one you have now, by all means try to replace it.

ZeekeDaGeek said:
Unfortunately, laptop land tends to be a dark and scarry place. I would think, as you do, that it should just be a matter of swapping out the cpu's.
If you are really wanting to do this, check with a local computer service center that has experience with laptops. They should be able to give you an un-biased answer.
As far as a Celeron is concerned, the main difference is the cache memory size. P-4's have more.
There are a LOT of Celeron's out there that are workin' away!
I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks very much for all that info. Yea I heard that the cache was the big thing... How do I increase the cache? Add more memory? It's been upgraded to 512mb of ram. Would that help? Thanks.

The cache size is built into the chip, so short of doin' that, you're stuck with it.

I've owned a desktop with a Celeron,and a Laptop with a P3 mobile. Obviously the p3 is a faster clock speed, but thats a given. Both have gotten the work done, and very fast at that.

Something to consider also is that if you put in a p4 chip, even if its mobile, your battery life will be worse than with the Celeron Chip.

I will warn ya this though, HAVE A SHOP change the processor... thats how i ruined my old computer. Its not something that one should attempt by oneself, UNLESS YOU KNOW 100% WHAT THE HECK YOU'RE DOING.

Other than that, singe the hairs off your hand and have fun !

Cheers,
Josh Dinkel

Heck, if you go through the trouble of changing it out for a p4, why not just buy a Centrino... Built in wireless.

I don't own a laptop and if I did. I don't think I would want to change the processor on it, it may be attached to the board in such away that it can't be removed. Im going wiht ZeekeDaGeek on this one.

ps I have only seen the inside of a laptop once and it was a 486, which should be in a museum by now.

lol,
cowticket

I've had my laptop opened up trying to figure out why the fan didn't want to come on when the unit felt warm (to me). I had the CPU out in order to inspect the fan, etc. It's a totally different looking animal than what you see in a desktop model.
That is the primary reason I don't feel it would be worth the $$$ that it would take to swap it out.
BTW, when I put my laptop back together, everything still worked.
I'm a professional two way radio technician, so I have a reasonable amount of experience in the dis-assembly and re-assembly of electronic equipment.
And yes, I still was sweatin' bullets taking that rascal apart!!

Hehe... the last time i tore apart a laptop was a 333 Mhz PowerBook, and we were trying to fix the power distro plug. Just for reference, it wasn't fun to put back together, and I had screws extra at the end.

Bottom line, I wouldn't tear apart a notebook ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom