Airflow Assessment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvin.C

Fully Optimized
Hello,

I'm becoming increasingly concerned about my computer's airflow. A while back I posted concerns about overheating (in the following thread: http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=42862&highlight=temperature), and decided to upgrade my cooling solutions. I replaced the rear case fan (because it began wearing out) and I also replaced the heatsink with a large one. I also switched to Artic Silver 5 for better thermal conductivity.

My BIOS is still reporting high temperatures, averaging at 55°C to 60°C when idle...!

airflowdiagram10oe.jpg

Here is an image of my airflow setup. There's a rear case fan, a heatsink fan and a rear fan on my active power supply. I recently flipped my rear case fan to drive air into the case instead of expelling it. Air is pulled in from the rear case fan and blown over the CPU heatsink. The HSF takes this air and pushes it down to the base of the heatsink, and out at right angles across a 360° area. This air can then be expelled out of the case through the PSU exhaust fan.

But there are some concerns. Is my airflow setup effective? I'm concerned about the yellow area, where my graphics card expells alot of heat throught the large heatsink. But not much of the air in this area is moving. I'm considering purchasing a PCI blower if it becomes critical, so this is easily fixed.

My main concern is my CPU. Despite my efforts, temperatures refuse to lower. Am I doing anything wrong?

Re:

Hello,

On my case, I have a inlet grid at the bottom-front of my case. There are also slits across the right panel of the case to allow air to flow into the case. However, I don't have a hole in the case above the HSF.

Personally, I'd try to get a fan in the front or on the side panel. Make a mod if you have to. Then I'd make the back fan exhaust. This'll blow cool air in the front, and push hot air out better. The back fan sucking air out will keep a good airflow going, so air runs BY the processor picking up the warm air on its way.

See if you can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom