how hot is amd xp meant to be. mine is 50-60 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

salami1212

Baseband Member
my athlon computer is a 3000xp amd.. not 64 bit. my graphics card is 6600gt agp, i have 1 gb ram, 450 powersupply, 2 case fans. and my computer is about 50- 60 sometimes even 65 degrees celcius. why is this and is this normal

I think that it depends on the processor itself and the type of cooling you have. I have an Athlon XP 2500 (barton) oc'd to the XP 3200. I upgraded from the stock heatsink/fan, and I also have 2 more fans for cooling. My cpu is usually between 38 - 44 degrees celcius.

Now, my sister has an older Athlon. I think it's the 1800. My brother and I have thrown everything we can at it as far as cooling(exception being water cooling!!). Her cpu runs between 70 - 74 degrees celcius!!

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I would say cooling and the type processor you have is the cause. While your temps are pretty warm, they're not fatal to your cpu. Although, if you're still running stock heatsink/fan, look for an upgrade....it should definitely help bring your temps down.

the temperature threshold befor you see a performance difference on athlons is around 85*C. Then you could start seeing damage

I run at around 64 - 70, is this then ok for now? Until i can afford a new PSU and Heatsink?

LoTeX said:
I'd do something immediately. An extra fan or downclock or something.

My PSU is faulty and therefor is not powering the fans at maximum threshold, I have ordered a new one (Antec Neopower 480W) plus a new Heatsink

That temp is good enough

I mean, if the processor fry's it's almost as cheap to get a new processor compared to a good heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom