Athlon XP vs. Athlon 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow...i've never realized how fast 6000gt cores are and the memory

clock too..no wonder everyone likes em...yea that would be a great

but it depends on how money flows maybe if i could get one off of ebay

a lil cheaper but i wanna get this built pronto so i will probably go with the 9600..at least it passes sys. req. for bf2

edit: Dario i see what you are referring to now

hey, the system that i built you is $385 WITH the 6600GT... you just need RAM and a PSU

If you do end up going amd 64 I would suggest trying to get a socket 939 with PCI-E so you could upgrade easier down the road.

ok..guys i need your help again my mom might buy me a video card...but it can't be expensive so don't say the 6600gt.The ati 9600 isn't bad is it ?

6600GT isn't much more than the 9600XT.... and completly pwns it... if you have $450, the 6600GT would be in your budget...

Just ask your mom if she will help you buy the card. If you are building this computer for games you should really focus on the graphics card. You could go from a xp2500 to a amd64 dual core 4800 and wouldn't see as much gain as you would from say a geforce 4 mx4000 to a 6600gt in most games.

Heres a setup that has socket 939 and PCI-E so you will be able to upgrade without needing a new motherboard.

socket 939 PCI-E $78 Anybody care to shine a little light on this board I just picked it cause it was cheap and had 4 ram slots.

Amd Athlon64 3000+ venice Retail with heatsink and fan $148

eVGA 6600GT PCI-E $169

TwinMos 512mb (256 *2) ram $45

Total $440 dollars just need a PSU and case. I got a Foxconn for my uncle for $35. It looks pretty good but I haven't tried it out so I don't know how good it is. But if it is that would keep you in the $475 range. Or you can get a good PSU for $35 and use a old case if you have one.

my experience...

you should buy a seperate PSU that doesnt come with the case...

I got 2 cases that came with PSU's, and i had to replace them both.

- The 350watt psu was 11.7v on the +12v rail... thats low but not super low.. and it actually worked with a 2.8celeronD.. Problem was that occationaly it would not turn on, or not turn off lol.

- The 450watt psu didnt work at all... so i opend it up and took it apart... and looked at the bottom circuit board, and it appears that it was either built or rebuilt by a 10yr old indian sweatshop worker or someone that shouldnt have been weilding a Soldering iron, because they were probably a hazard to themself and otheres lol. Id post a pic if i had one at the moment.
-------------------------------------------------

the xp3000, 1gb ram, 6600gt.. that i tested... ran HL2 and Doom3 at Medium to High settings. anything bellow a 6600gt and you would proably be running (Low to Medium) settings at best.

The best bang for your buck card now though is the (6800 128mb 256bit) card for 160 to 180.

Its out of stock at the moment, but for example its possible to get one at $160.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133148

I got that card for another build im puting together, and it came with everything except a PNY labeld box... the adapters wires and drivers came with it. though none of that is nessessary, in case any of u were wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom