Athlon XP vs. Athlon 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
64chip motherboards support different RAM than 32bit mobos. You can use normal RAM in them, but it's better to use the RAM recommended for the chip.
DDR memory is DDR memory, there aren't different flavours of it, you have 184 pin modules that go into 184 DIMMs. Motherboard manufacturers may recommend specific modules or list modules that are confirmed to work flawlessly with the board, but really any DDR should work in any Athlon platform.

Only stuff you can exclude is ECC RAM but that's a different story all together.

they don't sell the 3200+ XP's on newegg anymore..

oh, Lintball, i got the prices from www.newegg.com

i think you should go with that.. pick some ram and you're done! ;)

oh, i would also reccommend a new case, because you will need a lot of power for the video card and the CPU

you guys, 9600Pro sucks ass compared to the 6600GT...
you won't run BF2 on that at any res higher than 640x480... trust me, the system i built for you is the best...

gaara said:
DDR memory is DDR memory, there aren't different flavours of it, you have 184 pin modules that go into 184 DIMMs. Motherboard manufacturers may recommend specific modules
The pins and type weren't so much my point as the speed. He can use slow PC2100 RAM, but the 64bit chips will run better with RAM they are tested against, such as the higher end DDR chips, which are more expensive.

pc_boy said:
they don't sell the 3200+ XP's on newegg anymore..
oh, Lintball, i got the prices from www.newegg.com
Yeah, newegg doesn't carry them anymore, but you can still find them online at other places. Try using a store search tool like bensbargains.net

pc_boy said:
oh, i would also reccommend a new case, because you will need a lot of power for the video card and the CPU
You mean he needs a new powersupply, not case. The case is not welded to the powersupply.

yeah dude, but most cases come with PSU's.. and i wouldn't put a sweet thermaltake PSU into an old junky compac presario case...

and there won't be any point in getting an old XP, they cost a lot and they don't have hyper transport... :p

Yeah I was just saying I didn't think they made socket 939 amd64 2800 because you linked a 939 board and said amd64 2800.

Also you don't need 256mb on a vid card. 6600gt with lower end cpu and 512mb or 1gig or ram is your best bet.

if you only have $400 then I would suggest an XP.
I just upgreaded from a P3 500 to an XP 2800+ and it had a huge difference. the only thing now is to get a better video card than the 5200.
although I've seen Doom 3 run on a 2600+ and this 5200 (I bought this off a friend who upgraded from the 5200 to a 6800 GT)
the 9600 Pro is what I'd get, or a 6600 GT if I have the money. they will go down in price in a little while after the new cards from ATI and Nvidia come out, not long now...

The pins and type weren't so much my point as the speed. He can use slow PC2100 RAM, but the 64bit chips will run better with RAM they are tested against, such as the higher end DDR chips, which are more expensive.
PC3200 valueRAM is all he needs if he's not overclocking....this applies to AMD64's as well......like Gaara said, DDR is DDR....he doesn't need the more expensive high performance RAM just because it's AMD64

Lintball said:
'm getting an amd for sure but i'm debating about getting an xp or 64 :D

Do any thing to avoid getting stuck with Socket A CPU. They are going to get discontinued some time in the next 3 months.
A AMD Socket 754 system would be good.
A AMD Socket 939 system would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom