Help-Computer Just freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neel

Solid State Member
hi all, dont know if anyone can help but

My computer keeps freezing, i have formatted the computer several times cause it keeps freezing, (when it freezes nothing works the hd light it not on, you then have to use the reset on the case to restart it), it gives no warnings just stops

i have the following installed on it

xp
kazaa
msn update

and that is it

hardware wise it has

xp2400
gigabyte motherboard
256 ram
40gi maxtor hd
40gig ibm hd
geforce 2 64mb g.card

the system used to run ok about a week ago, then idecided to reformat cos it had loads of junk on it, i have the latest via cipset drivers.

can you help please

Many thanks

Neel

What kind of computer is it? Did you build it yourself or was it factory made? Do you have onboard video that you haven't disabled?

hi

this is a machine i built, about 6-8 moths ago, and have never had a problem with it, it does not have onboard grapics just sound which i have always had off as i use a sound blastercard, the system has crashed about three time since writing the original thread, but the last time it did it one of thos error reports have come up the error is

BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : 80536E0D BCP3 : F3178A40
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0 Product : 256_1

does this mean anything to anyone

did this problem happen right after you reformatted? if so that means it is a software problem probably from installing drivers for your hardware incorrectly.

well i have reformatted the computer about 5 times now and it seems to happen all the time a interminent times

Yes, actually, this error makes a lot of sense.
What brand of memory do you have? Can you list everything you can on the memory and the video card that you have?
This error will occur after the OS attempts to use a device and fails. Typically, given the communication code of 1000008e it is either the video card or memory that you are using. It doesn't really have to be the device itself (although it can be), but it is the combination of the device and the drivers being used.

-Mike

well i have done everything you said,

@mike
i dont know what memory is in there there is no name on it
the graphics card is the nvidia geforce 2 6m mb card, and they have been on the system for a long time and i hever had the problem before

@digital
teh power supply is only a few months old and never had a problem before

@ Royal
i have looked and looked inside the case and nothing looks out of place

the cpu fan is running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom