pretty good performance difference!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya, you only gain like 1fps in games or something like that from chaning your Cas from 3 to 2.5.

I can tell you right now going from CL of 3 to even 2 would yield no real performance difference muchless going from 3 to 2.5, cas latency effects stability more than bandwidth.....more than anything your HD likely added to the performance.

Nubis, I really don't get it though. You keep saying that bandwith is what matters, but when I look at the benchmarks, I see that timings is more important than bandwith.....
Comparing quake fps with this ram which runs 2-2-2-6
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2392&p=8
to this ram which runs at 2.5-3-3-6
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2392&p=7

There is a 8 fps difference. But, when I look down in that second link and compare the fps in quake of the 2.5-3-3-6 at 12*200 to the fps in quake of the 2.5-3-3-6 at 10*240, I only see a 2 frame gain. Is it just because the ram is different and performs differently?

EDIT: Its Wolfenstein not quake.

Bandwidth and timings are two completely different things, I'm not saying one is more important than the other because you can't have bandwidth without timings right...

The reason the bandwidth would be different between 2-2-2-6 and 2.5-3-3-6 is the two middle numbers (ras to cas and ras precharge I believe) THOSE effect bandwidth more than anything, whereas the cas latency and the cycle time (end number) effect primarily stability and not so much bandwidth.

In regards to 1 or 2 FPS gain that could be all kinds of things.....that isn't necessarily the RAM there....if you run a benchmark you're never going to get the exact same numbers both times because computers just don't work that way...theres always that "margin of error" in which that 2FPS could easily fall into.

It takes a good leap in the memory MHz with a decent amount of bandwidth gain before you'd see a substantial increase in FPS really in a real gaming environment.....if you run aquamark, 3dmark01, and programs like that you'll see the difference more than you would while playing your favorite game, primarily because it's not like theres a set FPS that your game will always run at, so the benches will always be inconsistant.

In overall computer speed the RAM with the same timings but higher frequency would obviously perform better.

Ya lol. There is a margin of error. I just went to the next page and saw a new 2-2-2-6 ram do 124.6fps instead of the 122.7 fps that the previous 2-2-2-6 ram did.

really? wow im scoring 1000 more points in 3dmark 01se 12000 lol umm well i got a hd with a fresh copy of windows home edition before i had a illegal xp pro with sp1 now i got sp2 but i doubt thats it. maybe my old 5400 rpm hd was just really messed up i mean some times i did get boot errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom