new CD drive not visible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Him is right and the BIOS will have the drivers for CD-ROM drives in newer computers.

Personally this drive sounds broken

I have applied for drivers from teac; the disc doesn't show up in diskmgmt.msc. Broken disc? might be, it looked a bit second hand... the vendor is reputable, but not infallible i guess.

tx

tarantulatarama said:
I have applied for drivers from teac; the disc doesn't show up in diskmgmt.msc. Broken disc? might be, it looked a bit second hand... the vendor is reputable, but not infallible i guess.

tx
Does the light on the drive come on when you turn the PC on? When you put in a CD, does it spin-up and blink?

DJ-CHRIS said:

Personally this drive sounds broken

i Agree. If there is no " ? " device found in the hardware/device manager, then the drive is probably dead...Drivers will not fix this problem.

hdd light on: check; spin and blink: check; my computer: negatory.

is it the opinion of this forum that we have a bust disc drive? As I said earlier, it did look like it had been opened/used when I recieved it...

Just because it doesn't show up in My-Computer, or the device manager, doesn't mean the drive is dead.

How are your jumpers set, and what else (if anything) is connected on that IDE chain?

ShoobieRat said:
How are your jumpers set, and what else (if anything) is connected on that IDE chain?

sorry shoob, you're gonna have to explain!

jumpers?

IDE chain?

sorry & thanks. :confused:

I got the drive out of the packaging and stuck it in the laptop. Simple as that.

Sorry, it was late.

Anyway, what other devices use that slot?
Forget the jumpers. Does BIOS recognize the drive?

sorry shoob, I'm not a 'virgin techie' (how do I change this?!) for nothing! - Which slot - the physical space the drive occupies? nothing else. as for the bios, I'll get back to you on that one. (f5 on restart isn't it?)

tx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom