RAM Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

YanBooth

Daemon Poster
This is a question for the pro's...

Well, for my next rig (see sig) that I am soon to buy, I planned on the OCZ RAM that was optimized for the DFI nF4 motherboard, but I guess it was not selling, and it has been discontinued.
So, I am left on the road and there is a fork ahead, and I am not sure which fork to take. Option A would be to just get a set of G.Skill PC4400 1GB (512 x 2), the RAM with the best timings for that speed. Option B, would be to get regular PC3200 RAM, but a 2GB set, (512 x 4 kills performance on AMD setups because it puts too much stress on the memory controller, so that is no-go) I think that for future protection 2GBs would be better. But I really cannot decide between the two options.

Please help,

Yan Booth

if the processor is not powerfull enough, 2GB will slow down the computer compared to 1gb

you will need like athlon 3500+ or P4 3.4 w/HT

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toldeo, powerful enough? LOL, and that is going to be overclocked.

Yan

Holy poo that will be more than powerful enough! Good call man. Tell me how the overclock goes when you get it going. I was curious to see how well they do.

Get a kit of G.Skill LAs, you really don't need more than a gigabyte and have obviously gotten swept up by the "I need to best" obsession. Quite frankly you'll be throwing away your money for no particular reason and you really won't notice performance differences at all.

As far as "futureproofing" goes, by the time 2GB comes in handy, your memory may meet the capacity requirements but it'll be outdated speedwise, and most likely platform wise as DDR2 and DDR3 will have replaced it.

Point being - there's essentially no way of futureproofing a machine unless you plan on upgrading within the next year or less

I forgot to answer your original question I guess.

Right now, 1 GB total is good enough, but in the future, you might actually want to have 1.5 GB or 2 GB. Right now as it is, 1.5 GB will improve performance, but 2 GB doesn't show a whole lot of difference from the 1.5 step. I put 2 GB in mine, just because the only things I plan on upgrading in the distant future is the grahpics card (DISTANT future) and processor.

If I were you, since you are getting a great processor, I'd go with 2 GB and it'll cover you for quite some time.

Right... now gaara has that nice post informing me of DDR3 and speeds and whatnot, so forget everything I just said in the last post.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom