Windows / IE problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

markhill

Solid State Member
I am having problems with internet explorer.
IE 6 SP1 with XP Home SR1, zonealarm, MS antispyware and norton antivirus
Problems I am having is problems accessing secure sites, I get page can not be displayed
and
Problems running activeX components, getting a message saying that the security settings prohibit running activex and to check the security settings. This includes the Windows Update page.

The settings for both secure sites and activex are set ok so shouldn't have any problems there. I have run a anti virus, adaware and spybot searches and the system is now clean as far as I can tell.
But I am still unable to do either of the above

I have tried to install the XP SR2 Update but after the extraction of the setup files the installer then reports it cant copy a file then closes down this is as much info as supplied.

In addition to this if I try secure sites in Firefox this works fine but windows update needs IE???

Zonealarm

I had a quick look but couldn't see any setting that would block ActiveX controls. I have closed Zonealarm down and retried but this doesn't help.
Although I have read that although closed this is has some effects on the system is this correct???

Firefox is a work-a-round but not a solution as some activex and java sites aren't fully compatible with this

Heh, I see the FireFaux zombies jumped on this quick. :mad:

Anyway, let me try to help you with your problem instead of suggesting you just give up and run away.

1. If the site is requiring an activeX plug-in to operate, make sure you have activeX turned on in your security, as well as the ability to download and run activeX controls.

2. If you go to a site that requires your login to enter, and it crashes out, go to File and see if there's an option to login in the menu. If so, select it, and you should get a username and login dialog this time.

3. Make sure you have your cookies turned on.

4. If you have your host file setup to block sites, try removing it and replacing it with just the standard host file, and see what happens. (If there's a change in the behavior of the browser, your host file is corrupted.)

5. If you're having trouble with SP2, either download it directly from Microsoft, or obtain a new copy of the download. Your installer sounds corrupted.

Let us know what's going on.

check your setting in the MS antispyware. spyware program are usually the ones that will block active x

Get Firefox. Also go to software publisher's websites to figure out if ActiveX controls are being blocked.

Ok,
I have uninstalled zone alarm and disabled anti spyware and still unable to to surf to secure sites and activex sites.
IE's security settings allow cookies and activex controlls
Host file has been replaced (even tho not used to block sites)
SR2 is being run from CD also tried coping files to HD and running from there and always fails saying unable to copy file. I have disabled firewall, antispam and other security and still wont install

I have also descovered that MSN MSGer will not sign in either advising that a service is not available and to retry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom