Random reboots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

idunnoe

Baseband Member
Sorry if this isn't the correct forums for this particular post, it looked like the most relevent place for it.

I just recently built my first computer and I've been having a problem with it. It has been rebooting very often, usually while running more than one program and while alt+tabbing back and forth between the programs. It will sometimes flash a very quick blue screen and reboot, and other times just turn black and reboot.
What could be some causes (and fixes) for this type of problem?
(i'm thinking it might be faulty ram, psu, or video card, but i have no way to know if its one of these 3 for sure)

I really don't think its because of overheating, I have plenty of fans (about 9 total) and air circulation (all wires are neatly tucked away, as to not interfere with the flow) and none of my hardware is overclocked.

I've tried updating all my drivers and none of the different combonations of versions seem to have any effect on the rebooting, it happens regardless.

If anyone has any idea what might be causing this it would be greatly appreciated.

[edit]
using windows xp home, ati radeon 9600 video card (newest drivers) MSI k8n neo platinum mobo with amd 64 2800+ processor. I forget the type of ram used, (i belive it's geil) 512k ddr 400 thermaltake purepower 420w psu.

lol im thinkin u mean 512mb not k haha. i doubt its the psu because if it was you would not have the blue screen like you said. probably not heat because otherwise it would just lock up. i don't know so much about the graphics card but im guessin if it was a problem with this once again you would not actually see an error here but as you apparently weren't using anything that would be much of a drain i can't see it being this either. it's possible that it could be the memory

the only i could think of is a new psu but that looks like a nice one but this is a lot of stuff ur running so if u could get ur hand on someone that u could maybe try out for a day or 2 or just trade them for a lil bit then i would check that my first build i couldnt play games cause when the graphics card needed juice there was no more so it just restartded or just shut off competely soo i would try the psu first thing

Hehe got me on the ram, I was a bit tired when i typed this thing up...

I'll see if i can find someone to trade ram with me for a bit, I've got a feeling that thats it, but the strange thing is when the computer boots back up i will get the windows error reporting thing, and it will say theres a problem with video drivers...

I also get fairly frequent vpu recovery errors, and my entire screen will either go black, or turn many different distorted shades of yellows before bringing me back to the desktop.

So perhaps a combonation of a bum video card and bum ram?

you need to turn off the automatic reboot option so you can read teh blue screen. That information is gold in troublshooting. Its most likely a driver that is causing it. do you have a sata hard drive? When you installed the os did you put in the sata drivers for your hard drive?

Do you have any USB devices installed? If so try turing off legacy USB support in the bios, I have several systems here that kept bsoding and giving me stupid random errors after installing a USB mouse. Changed that settiing in the bios and they are chuggin along nicely.

random reboots sounds like a PSU overheating or a memory problem. check both. see if the PSU exaust fan is working properly

Daapleby:

How exaclty would I go about turning off the aouto reboot? I do have a sata hard drive, how would I check to see if i have the sata drivers installed(and if not how would I install them)?

All of my many fans are working properly and overheating doesnt seem to be in issue at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom