Technology Differences : AMD vs Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_krayzie_i

Baseband Member
Will someone please explain the differences in AMD processors and Intel. I don't understand how Intel, which have a much higher FSB, preform just the same or lower to their AMD counterparts. Is it because of the more instructions per cycle in processing that AMD is getting lower frequency speed in their processors, or they are just operating more effciently? Also with new technologies developing such as hyperthreading and the 64 bit chip, how will this effect how processors are created in the future? Will we ever see a 64 bit hyperthreading processor? Or will we never see one because of copyright protection? Which way is better for performance? thanks

BTW: The main reason I am asking this question, besides curiousity, is because I am looking to build a new system from the ground up, and the processor will ultimately decide the mobo. So, I want the best processor that money can buy at a resonable price and any reccomendations for mobo also could be of help. Thanks agian

The 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 is the best choice available.
No AMD is better than that, except for the 64-bit, but that is impractical to the general public as of yet.

AMD utilizes a large cache to make up for the lost clock speeds. Pentium's still take the cake when it comes down to it. The Hyper Threading is no big deal, and is not as ground-breaking as the emergence of 64-bit technology. AMD has always been behind, and is gradually gaining. Intel better get their act together or their market will be lost!

Still, I would hands-down recommend the Pentium.

The 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 I have now generously outdid the AMD Athlon XP 3000+ I owned. Hope this helps.
Asus has good boards.

Thanks for your reply, I've never owned an AMD system so I have no experience with one. The Intel is obviously not as overclockable because of the lock out that Intel has placed on them. This was another reason I was going towards AMD as an alternative to be able to upgrade basicaly without going out and buying a new system. Why does Intel not incorporate these large caches such as AMD does?

No the Athlon 64 is definitly not impractical at as it will run 32bit applications and even the slowest athlon 64 will be faster than the p4 3.2 in some situations in 32 bit mode.
Next month Microsoft will probably release it's 64bit version of Windows Xp and AMD will cut prices in the 64bit range processors this all will open up even more to the "general public".

I'm very curious how Intel is going to compete with AMD when it drops the prices as low as $225 for a athlon 64 after christmas.

yeah, p4 3.2 EE costs $900, the Athlon 64 will come for $225 after christmas.
What would you choose?

The 64-bit version of Windows will not be comming out anywhere near next month, just to let you know :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom