Please Rate My Computer Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkknight206

Baseband Member
I have a $2000 budget for my College Computer, so I went to Newegg.com and put this system together. Tell me what you think:

AMD Athlon 4000+ San Diego Core (Socket 939)
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce 4 Ultra (Socket 939)
Gigabyte Geforce 6800GT 256mb PCI-Express
GeIL Value 2GB (4x512) DDR 400 Dual Channel Ram
2 WD Raptor 36.7GB 10,000 RPM SATA Hard Drives (RAID 0 setup)
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Edition
Thermalright xp-90 heatsink
Masscool 90mm Fan
Artic Silver Ceramique Thermal Compund

Thermaltake Tsunami Black ATX Case
Thermaltake Silent Purepower 420W PSU
NEC Black DVD Burner (IDE)
Enermax Multifunction Panel
Microsoft Finger Print Scanner

Viewsonic 17" Flatscreen CRT monitor

Total(w/o Shipping): $1,984.14

That looks like a pretty good setup with the exception of a few things. What is the computer going to be used for? Unless you do a lot of video editing or 3d animation, then having anything more than 1GB of ram is a most often times a waste on money. You would probably be better off getting only 1GB of ram and then using the money you save to buying a 120GB - 200GB hard drive for added storage.

Alot of ram will also decrease your peformance

Two things

DFI Lanparty SLI-DR instead of that board
Artic Silver 5 instead of ceramique

Also, get the DFI Lanparty nForce 4 Ultra-D mobo instead of the MSI. i would also recommend the eVGA video card over the Gigabyte. And switch the RAM to 1 gig of twinMOS

Well, I put the MSI board on since it was ranked #1 new board by toms hardware and is backed up by consistantly good scores in tests and I dont need an SLI board cause I'm not going to be buying two video cards anytime soon.

The memory I messed up when I said 2GB. That was a different setup where I had a 3800+ and 2GB RAM. Since then I upgraded to a 4000+ San Diego and went to 1GB Geil RAM.

get the DFI cause DFI is the king righ tnow everywhre (literally). and i would suggest OCZ ram or Twinmos or G.Skill. Oh yea the Leadtek 6800GT as well cause it comes w/ a copper HSF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom