Which way should the air flow thru. heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
the heatsink that came with my chip. has the fan so that it blows air into the CPU, like in #1. Should'n it be sucking it out of the heatsink, so that air flows like #2 in the image? I have my case fan right on the side of the heatsink fan, and the case fan sucks air out, so i thought it kind of cancels the heatsink out because it's smaller...

what do you think? #1 or #2?

Attachments

• untitled-1.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 95
This is the 2nd time this has been brought up....I don't understand why people have such a hard time understanding this. Read this sentence of yours:

the heatsink that came with my chip. has the fan so that it blows air into the CPU, like in #1

Now....if the heatsink CAME that way.....then why would it be better for it to be like option number 2 in the pictures?

Don't you think that the manufacturers of the heatsink knows what's best in terms of cooling and their processors.....

You want the fan blowing onto the CPU....it blows onto the CPU and the remaining heated air will then be sucked out the back....with air being sucked out the back....it wouldn't be very wise nor beneficial to try and have the CPU fan sucking air through the heatsink like in number 2 since all the other air is going out the back

Not only that, in number two, air might have a tendency to come into the heatsink at the tips of the fins, reducing the "effective" cooling area of the sink. With #1, air will probably travel toward the CPU untill hit hits the base of the heatsink, a far more effecient flow. Be interesting to see what it actually does with some smoke.

yeah dude, but my case fan is right on top of the heatsink, like 1 inch from touching edge to edge... and they are pulling opposite dirrections, causing them to cancel/reduce..

;) :confused:

Attachments

• untitled-2.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 86
What you need to do is switch the case fan :D
LOL, didn't you just post:
pc_boy said:
dang, i thought you were good at computers and stuff... didn't expect you to ask... oh well
in another thread... lol :p

dude, but that guy calls himself "gameGURU" and asks if Venice is better than newcastle... anyways... if i switch the case fan, it will blow all kids of $#!t into your computer, and plus.. this isn't a computer question, it's a cooling question... it's called PHYSICS :p

this is what I would do change the flow of the computer case air. basically if it is going from back to front change it to front to back, thus giving you a greater flow of air becasue of the HSF.

Its called your acting like an idiot, turn the case fan around so it brings in cold air from outside the case and blows it into the HSF and the fan on the HS blows it onto the base, provides much better cooling........

Yeah, I had to change my case fan around so that it would do that. At first, it was fighting the HSF for air, but when I switched it around, my temps dropped 5c-10c or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom