Malicious code on Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

starforsaken

Baseband Member
Just wondering, what do you guys use to get viruses / spyware off of a PC? What scans, run in what order? Any far-out methods?

I do a lot of removals and sometimes just can't get the bloody things off - so I'm looking at different solutions.

Well first off, you need an antivirus running all the time, then you need spyware removers such as spybot search and destroy, adaware se 6 personal, hijack this!, microsoft antispyware remover, which are all free. Run those programs constantly and dont download unknown programs, and you should be fine.

Well i am in the shop, and people are bringing in their PCs already infested. Often they are so bad that I can't get them off even when running in safe mode, modding the registry, etc. That's why I'm searching for alternate ideas.

I use SpyBot, Adaware, and Norton Antivirus 2005/AVG primarily.

Hi jack this will work wonders on an infected pc. Are also disabling all items in msconfig before and after your spyware scans?

that doesn't fix anything, it just means you're using a program that the spyware you have doesn't (currently) affect. the spyware is still there unless you remove it.

I always use Antivir, have that running in the background, and it does a really good job of keeping out viruses.

for spyware, I often use HijackThis! as well as manually removing stuff in safe mode. I can recognise what files are not genuine Windows ones, in the C:\ C:\windows and C:\Windows\system32 folders

Yeah but once you get rid of spyware, just start using Firefox or any alternative browser that supports "Automated Download Disable". And you should be fine. With firefox you do not get spyware. I have tested this out myself. I have gone to multiple "shady" sites. And I have done complete spyware scans. And the results came back clean.

But the reason I posted that was because the simple fact.... Why get 8 tools when you can have 1. I see that people have programs like, hijack this, adblaster, pop up destroyer, spyware killers. etc...... But if they used firefox they would not have this problem. But yes AntiVirus is needed anyways.

if you dont have the latest def for virus or have none and want to check out the system, goto:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Its free, it doesn't protect it from real time attacks, but has updated definitions and will rmove or tell you what is currently wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom