mp3 player + harddrive?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

milk

Solid State Member
Hello, I am new to the forums, and I would just like to introduce myself. :D . Ok so I have a question, Is it possible to buy say, a 1 gb or 5 gb or something mp3 player, and if it has a USB port, connect it to a seperate external like 80 gb harddrive, so that, it would be a lot bulkier, but your have 81 gb worth of space for music, etc? What I'm saying is like, attatching the external seperate harddrive, like a 40gb, or 80 gb, (laptop possibly), the kind you can get for under a $100, and buy an mp3 player for under a $100, and connect the two through a USB cable (both presumably have USB ports), and not you have a massive storage mp3, which you bought for less than a 20 gb iPod. It may be bulkier, but nothing a little duck tape couldn't fix ;) . So is this possible? If so, have you heard of anyone that has done this, or any good way to do this? Thank you very much!

Tony

Re:

Hello,

Not that i've heard of :rolleyes: . I don't think it would be practical in the sense that, every aspect of a computer Hard Drive is not designed for portable use of this manner.

Right, but I thought that some of the new external harddrives were very slim, etc? All i'm asking if it is possible? Thank you for the reply.

Tony

For instance, the 60GB VAIO 2.5" External Hard Disk Drive HDD USB 2.0/1.1, is only 4.59 oz, and it's 4.63 x 2.82 x 0.40. I think that's pretty small, I'd be willing to sacrafice that for 60 gb! But what i'm asking is, is it possible to connect something like that to an mp3 player? Do any mp3 players have 2.0 or 1.1 usb? How would it work? Thanks!

Tony

u seem very intent on pursuing this task... U would probably need to get a handheld rather than an mp3 player with a usb/firewire port built into it... or get a handheld that has the memory u need.. or even one that takes cards... good luck...

sorry, it is not possible for you to connect an external hard drive to an mp3 player and use it for extra storage. There are a few reasons it won't work. First, how will the mp3 player know to look through the usb connection for extra portable drive space? will the mp3 player format the hard drive? what will power the hard drive, the mp3's battery? an ac outlet? external harddrives need an os to run them, example it probably uses plug and play for windows. an mp3 player would not recognize it.

The idea just isn't possible. just a quick question tho, how many gigs of music do you have? and if you have enough to actually need somehting that big, than u can't possibly listen to all of it could you? i have an ipod with 15 gigs of music, and i don't even listen to half of it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom