A n00bie overclocker

Status
Not open for further replies.
on the XPs it doesn't take that much of an OC to really boost up your temps....you did run some prime95 to insure that it was stable right?

If you didn't bump up your voltage at all you'll really need to check for stability....

Also, I'm assuming you locked your AGP to 66MHz....I don't think you'd make it to 200 if you hadn't.

You gotta keep in mind, mobos temp sensors could be different, for all you know the previous one was wrong and this ones right or vice versa

hmmm....I'm more interested in whats behind them CPU-Z windows :p

are you absolutely sure it requires 1.9v for that OC....use as little voltage as possible otherwise it's just excess heat

well it runs stock at 1.65v and i was taking the voltage up by .05v and 1.9v was the only way it would boot, any lower that 1.9v and it would automatically restart my machine during the loading of windows.

Drworm2005.

hmm man i think you have a problem there cause i dont have my voltage up that high AT ALL. heres what it should ook like.
2600OC.jpg

as you can see my voltage is stock. been running fine for 2 years now.

I was just tweaking in the bios and i set it to 1.80v (No boot) 1.825v (No boot) 1.850v (Boot into windows when the welcome screen appears, Restart) 1.875v (Boot into windows desktop 2 seconds later BSOD) 1.90v (Boot into windows every thing runs fine)

Drworm2005.

PP - every chips different dude....although you may have the same chip as in 2600+ XP Barton, every wafer will still be different....if it takes 1.9v for his to run that, then theres really nothing he can do about it.

Have you prime95'd it yet?

12+hours and you can call it stable

Got my venice running 2.2GHz right now from 2GHz....damn OC bug got me :p even though the boards finicky, man I just got so anxious and had to start OC'ing it....running prime95 right now as I type this but I got a little bit different method.

When I'm OC'ing and know I want to go further, I run prime95 for 5 minutes....if it passes that 5 minutes then I got and bump the FSB another 5MHz....come back and do the same thing...when it gets to the point of it not passing prime95 within those 5 minutes or causing my computer to freeze, I know I need to add more voltage, then try the process again.

Then once you get to a clock speed you're fine with...then you start fine tuning the voltage by seeing if it'll run prime95 for 12+ hours.

i knmow every chip is fine but would it rally be that different? My uncle saw my computer the beginning of the year and got the exact same thing i got and OCd it just like i did. he has the same voltage and everything and runs fine. I think there is soething wrong myself but if it worx w/out overheating then i giuess its ok.

Well i managed to drop the voltage down a bit more, from the reading on CPU-Z it is sitting on 1.808v, the CPU temps have also dropped:).

THE REASON/FIX

When i got my new mobo (NF7-S) i noticed the position of the CPU was a little different to the position on my old ECS KT600-A. Everything looked O.K. though, I thought i would take my PSU out tonight and sleeve the wires, while i was doing this i noticed my PSU was barely resting on my HSF (Unfortuinatly with the case i got it is only supported by the screws in the back (No support at the front of the PSU) and the front of the PSU was lowered a bit. I didn't get time to finish sleeving the wires tonight but i thought i would hook the PSU up to my rig to check my e-mails. After checking e-mails i noticed i had the machine running for a while and my CPU temp was only 35*C so i thought i'd try and change the voltage in the BIOS, I only got it down by 1 volt but it's better than nothing:).

Also at the moment my CPU temp is sitting back on 32*C and thats while O/Ced as well:). It feels great to have things back to normal again, although i'll have to figure out some knid of mod to raise the front of my PSU so it dosen't effect the HSF again.

Drworm2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom