Building my Watercooling system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nubius said:
always get TDX, it's basically their best block. the RBX requires a pretty damn strong pump, stronger than D4 and isn't THAT much of a performance increase even if you do have that pump, not to mention the 3 barbs can be a pain in the ass

My personal experience with the RBX has been positive. I like the 3 barb design. It flows great and I'm not sure it would require a larger pump. Plus you can get the RBX with a brass top in case you want to do peltier in the future.
TDX looks cheap to me but I've read no complaints either.

I say you can't go wrong either way.

Red UV dye and two UV cold cathodes. The water and water additive dilutes the red too much so it turns out pink/purple. My rig is all red and silver so I was trying to match that when picking my UV dye.

Laser, that looks great! I like how you have no bends in the hosing, you just placed a 90 anywhere there would be a bend. That prolly does WONDERS for the flow! I just decided (right now) that I'm going to steal that idea (sorry) and put it on mine. Also, are those the quick release hose adapters that are built into your case? You have two hoses leaving your case, are they connecred through the quick release? Where could I get my hands on some of those? What size tubing are you using? It looks pretty big, 1/2 inch?

As for the RBX, from what I've hard you only get a degree or two cooler. The thing with the RBX is that it has more surface area to cool. Using it is kind of a double edged soward. You get alot of surface area, but with that comes the heat dump into the water and the more powerful pump to push it. Plus, as was said before, the third barb is sometimes a pain in the ass to work with.

Him said:
Laser, that looks great! I like how you have no bends in the hosing, you just placed a 90 anywhere there would be a bend. That prolly does WONDERS for the flow! I just decided (right now) that I'm going to steal that idea (sorry) and put it on mine.
Thank you very much!
Most people think that all the bends will kill flow and ultimately the cooling performance of the system. I couldn't agree less. This setup does an awesome job of cooling my cpu and gpu.
By all means, use this to your advantage. I don't have a lock on the idea ;)

Him said:
Also, are those the quick release hose adapters that are built into your case? You have two hoses leaving your case, are they connecred through the quick release? Where could I get my hands on some of those? What size tubing are you using? It looks pretty big, 1/2 inch?
No quick releases. Didn't think I would need anything like that. I've seen them around but I can't remember where.
The two hoses leaving the case are going to my Hydor L35 water pump. Things have been re-arranged since that picture and now my radiator sits outside the case too.
The tubing is 1/2". I wanted as much flow as possible.

Him said:
As for the RBX, from what I've hard you only get a degree or two cooler. The thing with the RBX is that it has more surface area to cool. Using it is kind of a double edged soward. You get alot of surface area, but with that comes the heat dump into the water and the more powerful pump to push it. Plus, as was said before, the third barb is sometimes a pain in the ass to work with.
I don't have anything to compare it against but I've read the samething about the temps.
Initially working with the third barb was a little tricky until I got the elbows. Things wanted to kink all the time.

My rig was running around 32C+ at idle while using the stock heatsink and clock speed. When I played my games, it normally went up to 36 to 38C.
Now it idles at 30C and lately under load it sits at 33C with a 600Mhz overclock. It's worth all the effort.

Yes, you have some nice temps there with a very nice OC. Anyone who thinks that those fitting would kill performance clearly do not know what they are doing when it comes to WC. A slight bend in a hose could result in a nice kink that would kill performance, and those fittings make for perfect stoppers on those kinks.

What kind of radiator do you have? Did you go to XS and get a weapon modded one or did you mod one yourself or buy one from danger den? I have 1/2" hosing as well. The special hosing that you buy at like frozencpu.com is some $1.50 a foot. But it is special for water cooling. Yeah, I went to Home Depot and got 10' of hosing for $5. It is special enough for me!

Do you have those hoses leaving your case just through two holes in the chasis of the case? Or do you have some sort of fitting in there? As for the quick release ones, you know where I can get some?

pump, is it a nice pump? dont think I've read anything on the Hydor's, but I may have. I was in the middle of building my water cooling system, thinking that I had a bunch of money to blow, and then BAM! It was like a punch in the face, i realize that I cannot spend NEARLY as much as I was spending! So this puts a serious dent in things, so I'm going to have to tone it back a little bit. I wanted to get a nice Iwaki, but they cost some dough. i mean, the performance and minimal power consumption and heatdump are very worth it, but it sucks when money is tight. Thats why I'm going to be super rich, because of all the things to worry about in this world, money should be the very last. If I'm rich, I wont have to worry about it! ;)

hey lasercobra, it all looks good, but isnt it a ***** when it comes to change ur cpu or graphics card cuz it sure look hard to move anything in ur case?
how bad is it, or am i wrong and its real easy to change stuff

Him said:
Yes, you have some nice temps there with a very nice OC. Anyone who thinks that those fitting would kill performance clearly do not know what they are doing when it comes to WC. A slight bend in a hose could result in a nice kink that would kill performance, and those fittings make for perfect stoppers on those kinks.
Perhaps the difference is my pump and 1/2" fittings. Everything in this setup is as big as you can get it.

Him said:
What kind of radiator do you have? Did you go to XS and get a weapon modded one or did you mod one yourself or buy one from danger den? I have 1/2" hosing as well. The special hosing that you buy at like frozencpu.com is some $1.50 a foot. But it is special for water cooling. Yeah, I went to Home Depot and got 10' of hosing for $5. It is special enough for me!
Radiator is a Pro-120 from DangerDen.com
That's where I got my hose too. I'm not spending that much money for some clear tube. It's a rip. Just make sure you don't have aggresive turns and you'll be fine.

Him said:
Do you have those hoses leaving your case just through two holes in the chasis of the case? Or do you have some sort of fitting in there? As for the quick release ones, you know where I can get some?
I drilled holes and added some brass fittings. I'll see if I can find some quick releases for ya.

Him said:
pump, is it a nice pump? dont think I've read anything on the Hydor's, but I may have. I was in the middle of building my water cooling system, thinking that I had a bunch of money to blow, and then BAM! It was like a punch in the face, i realize that I cannot spend NEARLY as much as I was spending! So this puts a serious dent in things, so I'm going to have to tone it back a little bit. I wanted to get a nice Iwaki, but they cost some dough. i mean, the performance and minimal power consumption and heatdump are very worth it, but it sucks when money is tight. Thats why I'm going to be super rich, because of all the things to worry about in this world, money should be the very last. If I'm rich, I wont have to worry about it! ;)
I thought the Hydor was one of the best. It's real strong. I think most people don't like it because it's AC so you need to run it to a wall outlet. Companies make an adapter that allows the computer to turn it off and on but my laziness didn't justify the expense.
I think a lot of people don't realize how much all this stuff costs. Especially the nickel and dime things. That's why I'm so frustrated that my kit isn't selling. I paid a lot for it and I won't even make a 3rd back on my investment.
Money issues will tear the best relationships apart. You've always got to have money...

zeroordie said:
hey lasercobra, it all looks good, but isnt it a ***** when it comes to change ur cpu or graphics card cuz it sure look hard to move anything in ur case?
how bad is it, or am i wrong and its real easy to change stuff

SUPER simple. I have some graphic card issues and took the gpu water block off once a day for a week. Just 2 screws for the gpu block and 4 for the cpu block. EASY stuff.

My personal experience with the RBX has been positive. I like the 3 barb design. It flows great and I'm not sure it would require a larger pump. Plus you can get the RBX with a brass top in case you want to do peltier in the future.
TDX looks cheap to me but I've read no complaints either.

I say you can't go wrong either way.
Uhhh dude....you can get the brass top with TDX too.....the RBX is a good performer but is more of a flow killer than the TDX....the D4 will work for it yeah, but under those pump conditions the TDX will perform better, hence them releasing it after the RBX.....if the TDX was worse they wouldn't put it out.

If you were to use a strong pump like the Iwakis, the RBX would shine better, but it still wouldn't be a huge performance increase over the TDX....not to mention the 3 barb design can be a pain and put more stress on the barbs which could mean more stress being pull on the mobo/CPU

Talk to the guy who made the block.......RBX stands for Rokk Block Xtreme I believe....this guy made this block before he began to work for dangerden......he's known as CPUKiller over at pimprig.com

Those assortment of 90degree angles sure don't help your flow any either..........all in all RBX block, plus 90 degree angles abound seems like a flow killing loop to me.

This isnt to say it doesn't work, because obviously it does....but using common sense and just picturing the flow of water will tell you 90 degrees hurt flow.

I have never been into water cooling. I think that it looks ugly, but I guess that it gets the job done. Is water cooling silent ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom