systiem overheating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

weewun

In Runtime
i built my pc not long after last xmas and now, for what seems like no good reason it just keeps overheating! when im playing a game (world of warcraft) that uses a large amount of the cpu, it come up with a warning that the systiem is overheating... it didnt used to do this with the same game. iv already opened up the systiem and taken as much of the dust out of the processor fan as possible... if any1 knows why this is happening please tell me!

i have a P4 2.8 GHz on an intel board (is the board the problem because i know intel ones are dodgey!) with 512MB ram etc....

i have he intel active monitor... i checked it and it is borderlined in the red to yellow area...(im guessing red is very bad and yellow is nearly very bad) its like this in the processor and 'section 2' whatever that bit is.... would bying another fan help?

You really to give need a numerical value before any decisions can be made as to what action to take.

the processor is at about 60 celcius and the section 2 thing is at about 50... section one stayes below 40 so its fine...

if its a prescott, which it probably is, u need to get urself a nice CPU heatsink and some AS5. Those things go through the roof in terms of heat

if whats a prescot? i am not very fluent with PC talk yet... my cpu already has a heatsync (the bar thing that stick up to draw heat away from it yeh?) but iv no idea what an AS5 is...

Prescott is a particular core design of the Pentium 4. it runs hot and uses more power than the other cores, although it can get higher frequencies (which is not always better mind you)

AS5 is Arctic Silver 5, a thermal paste which goes between your CPU and the heatsink to give better heat dissipation. it basically fills up all the little gaps from the imperfections of the CPU core and/or heatsink

sounds mad or i mis-understood

dude, quick one, when you say (the bar thing that stick up to draw heat away from it yeh?) i'm guessing you mean the blackish metal that looks like a mis-shappen hedgehog?

if so you are missing quite a vital piece, being the fan. which draws the heat futher away and much quicker. In addition to that cpu heat gel (silver looking thing, helps with thermal transfer)

if the above made no sense the disclaimer was in the title :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom