Use E-machines HD in upgraded comp?? Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurron

Beta member
I have my GF's old emachines that has Win.98 on a 15 gig HD. I am planning to upgrade my comp, and want to put her OS/HD on my old Mobo. I basically tried it this evening, told me it was "not the correct system" or something. Wondering if I can bypass this error and use her emachines OS on my mobo.

Thanks...Eric

You need to do a complete repartition, reformat, delete the mbr, and clear the cmos. I had to do this on a Dell.

Yes but no. Yes you can use the drive in your machine, but not in its current state. As others have mentioned you will need to set this drive up for your comuter. I was lucky one time and was able to re-install Windows 98 over the copy that was already there (much like a Windows 2000/XP REPAIR) and it worked out ok. I reccomend the reformat option though.

Its just a hard drive...any drive that comes from a company is no more special than buying from a manufacture directly. I say there is only one real time where I had an issue with an OEM drive from an IBM laptop..something with its freakin "dignostic partition" and crap ass partitiong software they used kept me from altering the POS drive (couldnt reformat or alter anything related to its structure). Other than that though I've done a ton of OEM drives that ran the repair ok into a new machine. I just moved an old Sony Vaio hard drive into a new machine I built for a customer with no problems running the XP repair.

My macintoshes would do this though cause they=the devil.

I understand that I can more than likely ust it as "just a HD", which is good. I'm wondering though if I can use the origninal '98OS that was on it from emachines, instead of having to buy another OS. I technically don't "NEED" this system, more or less a project with extra parts.

Here's a thought......
I built the comp i'm using now....ang bought the OS for it. I have heard rumors (and WILL check the boards) that I could potentially use my XP-Home for this computer, and just overwrite the emachines as mentioned before... Any comments????

Thanks..Eric

Not legally. You mean your current system already has XP home and you wish to put this same copy on that spare machine right? That would be illegal. You could put it on a laptop if you bought this product, but not another desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom