Custom PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deceptive

Beta member
Hello, I am new to the forums, but i figured i would jump right in...I would like to build my own gaming pc... money isn't an obstacle so... for the 3d accelerator card, should i wait for nvidia's 7800 series? And cpu wise... should i go with amd's 64 bit processors or wait for intel to come out with a better one? Also would it matter to get more than 2 gigs of ram... it seems like enough to me?:D

I agree that you should wait for the next gen gfx card, and as for the processor I hear that amd's venis core very good..., and 2 gigs of ram is a lot but if money isn't an obstacle then go for it....

wait for the new crds to come out, but do some research on them before you decide whether to go 7800 or X900. remember, people said the X800 was "going to be better" when it came out

and for gaming, definately go Athlon 64.
you say money is no option? then go for an FX-55 with a San Diego core (not newcastle) as they give really good overclocks.

for a motherboard: the DFI NF4 Ultra-D or SLI-D Lanparty is the best socket 939 motherboard you can get so far.

for RAM: G.Skill 2x512MB. 1GB sticks don't overclock well, and 4x512 doesn't give you dual channel, and also doesn't overclock as well 2x512MB is the best for overclocking, and gives plenty of memory for games
G.Skill currently holds the best RAM speeds, reaching DDR600 without coolers

You can have 4 sticks of ram in dual channel, its just not as efficent, as you have to use 2 memory controllers. (1 on the first set of dual channel ram, and the other on the other set of ram)

Quick round-up:
-FX-55
-X900/7800 - wait until both are out, if you really don't care about money, then if they still go with the crossfire/SLI than get two of them
-DFI lanparty board SLI-D/SLI-DR
-1gb of G-skill ram LA's
-2X 10000 rpm WD raptors (If you want, Seagate 15k cheetah's with a good SCSI card)
-2X 400gb Seagate SATA HDD (If you need more space, I think I remember seeing the SLI-DR mobo has 8X sata ports
-NEC DVD burner
-NEC cd burner (if you want it, get one that can read DVD's as well)
-DD custom water cooling set-up
-Antec/OCZ/Enermax/Thermaltake PSU
-Big case, with plenty of fans, preferable 120mm one.

The 7800 is all hype and no performance. I hear that it's clock speed is actually LOWER (might be wrong) than the 6800. Just get a 6800gt or ultra, as it has way more power than is needed for today's games. As far as processors, this is a classic dispute, AMD/Intel, ATI/Nvidia. Almost everyone will say if you game, get a Athlon 64-bit, are you looking for FX series or 3500+ or what? Get something with a Venice core, they OC well. You use Intel for stupid crap like editing, surfing the web, etc..

If you have that much money get a high end San Diego core A64/FX CPU. The San Diego core is basicly the same as the Venice, but it has double the L2 cache.

Wow you guys gave me a lot of info... I really wasn't sure what processor i wanted... so the san diego 64 seems like the best choice to me...and i did plan on using the 10000 rpm raptors... Thanks guys:D

The 15,000RPM U320 SCSI's from Seagate are awesome. If money truley is not an issue, get those. A Raid array with two of those would blow anything away...

Lian-Li case
dfi sli-dr/dfi crossfire board
fx57 San Diego
OCZ 512x2 DFI version
10k raptors
x900/7800 (btw the 7800 has slightly higher clocks, but is built ground up, and is reported to have much higher preformance than 6 series.)
OCZ 600w PSU
zalman 7700c cooler with artic silver 5
audigy 2 ZS
samsung 4ms LCD
logitech z5500 speakers

if you want higher preformance but more complication you can get into phase change, water cooling, submersion, and vapor chilling

also SCSI drives are faster but more finicky, and the extra speed isn't particularly used, and CRTs will have higher preformance but are bulky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom