Windows XP Adoption Rates Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Although many are eagerly awaiting Microsoft next version of Windows, known as Longhorn, a recent study by AssetMetrix shows that many companies have not even upgraded to Windows XP, a full four years after its release.

The study reports that Windows 2000 is installed on 48 percent of all corporate PCs as of the first quarter of this year, only falling four percent since the last quarter of 2003. In comparison, usage of Windows XP rose from 6.6 to 38 percent during the same period.

The large number of users still on the older operating system poses a problem for Microsoft, who intends to phase out Windows 2000 support at the end of the month.

Even older operating systems from Microsoft are still in use. One in ten computers runs Windows NT, down from 13.5 percent. The biggest drop was recorded in those still running Windows 95 or 98, which fell from 28 percent at the end of 2003 to less than 5 percent this past quarter.

that is rediculous this shows that microsoft needs to lower there prices for the OS's at 250$ for windows xp pro is quite rediculous i have to say but that is why pirating is at such an alarming rate cause these people are selling there stuff for too much. This is a tip to people who are mad for loosing money due too pirating

In the guid to longhorn thread I already proved why Win2000 is not a good choice and will be abandoned.

I think its rediculous that MS is ending support for Win2k. Why would companies want to spend thousands of dollars to upgrade their entire network to XP from 2k when the only real difference between XP and 2000 is that XP has some fancy themes as well as a few extra plug and play options, that mostly benifits the home user. Its a total waste of corporate money to upgrade to XP from 2000 on its workstations.

Not true. It is a way to promise you get the latestu updates with Win2K being discontinued and it is a way to get the latest software. Longhorn uses .net2.0 something that will not be released to both Win2K or WinXP. Longhorn is the future.

Isn't there a large difference in system requirements between XP and 2K while not a lot difference in performance? I use 2K now and I use XP at school; not much difference except that the borders are all fancy with extra effects. For home use, I still think 2K is ideal, at least for those that run 2K already and don't have XP.

beedubaya said:
I think its rediculous that MS is ending support for Win2k. Why would companies want to spend thousands of dollars to upgrade their entire network to XP from 2k when the only real difference between XP and 2000 is that XP has some fancy themes as well as a few extra plug and play options, that mostly benifits the home user. Its a total waste of corporate money to upgrade to XP from 2000 on its workstations.

Right on..

Doesn't matter Longhorn is the future of Microsoft as it is the only OS that will support .net2.0 to my knowledge as of now. XP may get it in the future but no doubt it isn't getting it anytime soon. Win2K is to be discontinued as I said and not many people are Linux and UNIX guys like ourselves. Many are lost without windows and it is a sad fact. Now that I stated Longhorn is the future the hardware requirements for that are even stricter check out my guide on longhorn it has the hardware requirements.
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=57368&pagenumber=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom