Opinions and Help with New Computer Set Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't look like hes going to be diong any extreme overclocking. Might as well save that 50 us dollars and spend it on something else. Of course, he could always get the dfi and twinmos and hope that they are winbond chips.

i still say go with the DFI. in a couple of years when the system is obsolete, he'll prolly want to OC. DFI's boards are generally better quality anyway

Btw dhw200, how are the ocing options on the MSI? Can you OC decently in bios or do you have to use a program on xp? (sry for hijacking)

jbowman101 said:
Here are my ideas so far :
1. DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D
2. Leadtek A400 GT GeForce FX6800 GT 256MB TV/DVI, AGP8X
3. AMD Athlon64 3800+ Retail - Socket 939 - Venice Core
4. Antec Antec P180, Performance One, ATX MidiTower Case
5. OCZ PowerStream 520W Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU
6. Corsair 1024MB XMS2700 - TwinX - Extra Low Latency DDR RAM (2 x 512MB)
7. Seagate Barracuda NCQ 120GB 7200rpm ATA150 Serial ATA HDD - 8MB Cache X 2
That is a very good video card, and it has the best stock cooling out of all of them, but you will need the PCI Express version. Also, if you are going to spend that much on the CPU, just get a 3700+ San Diego core instead.

Edit:
No, the motherboard does not have an AGP slot. It has a PCI Express slot, which is going to replace AGP. The benefit of the San Diego core is that it has 1MB of L2 cache, versus the 512K on the venice. It is also 90nm.

Hacp said:
Btw dhw200, how are the ocing options on the MSI? Can you OC decently in bios or do you have to use a program on xp? (sry for hijacking)

the BIOS is decent, but not great. the DFI one is much better. I havent tried using a program in XP, so i dont know the comparison

So you don't have problems ocing your winny? How much can you get it up to? (btw this is last time I'll hijack this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom