FX5200 - 128mb or 256mb ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimp

In Runtime
Hi.

I was wondering wether there was a big difference in performance between the 128mb and 256mb fx5200?

The 256mb is an extra £13/$25 and was wondering wether it will be worth the extra money.

An extra note. If you can find a card which is better than this at around the same price then I would appreciate the suggestions :)

Personally, i would not get the FX5200. It's the bottom-of-the-barrel when it comes to video cards. you should be able to get a better card for about the same amount of cash.

As for your question, i don't think there would be much (if any) noticable difference between the 128mb and the 256mb card.

I had an FX5200 and it was a poor performance card for gaming.

Where do you buy your parts from? I like Newegg but they don't ship to the UK. (assuming thats where you are because od the "pounds" thing) :)

hercules_upw said:
Personally, i would not get the FX5200. It's the bottom-of-the-barrel when it comes to video cards. you should be able to get a better card for about the same amount of cash.

As for your question, i don't think there would be much (if any) noticable difference between the 128mb and the 256mb card.

I had an FX5200 and it was a poor performance card for gaming.

He's right. It was poor at running some of the older games like Wolfenstein. It really struggles for running modern games like HL2 etc... Personally I would shop around, there is always a bargain out there somewhere.;)

Thanks guys.

I use www.ebuyer.co.uk for my purchases.

I have been reading their reviews on the Sapphire Radeon 9550 128MB DDR AGPx8 TV-Out DVI-I Lite and it seems to be a very good purchase. They talked about overclocking it to a 9600 bios.

Anyone had any experiences with this card?

I havent used this particular card but it is a nice card. A friend of mine uses it and he loves it.

You may want to check out Connect3D

Have a shufty through there and see if they got any deals on. Again Connect3D associate with ebuyer but hopefully the above link will help you have some idea of what to expect.

for the generation your looking at i would say get a ATI. TBH or the power of any of that generation of card you should be looking at 128mb only. 64mb isnt enough, and 256mb is excessive and you wont use it. the 9550 would do you fine but if you can stretch to it the 9600pro is still a good buy.

You will be much happier with that card than the FX5200

click here for some benchmarks. The 9550 is not shown, but the 9500 is, and it's far better than the 5200.

by the way, good luck with new card....

Umm, the 9500 has 8 pipelines, the 9550 only has 4, so that benchmark is not very accurate.

9550 is a great budget card

Expisally if your a bit experimental and like unlocking pipepines :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom