Outlook w/MSN - ARF!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyHippieChic

Beta member
ok, here's the situation:

i have a remote user who dials up through msn. she needs to access company email so i configured outlook2k sp3 with internet only configuration and added pop3 mail.

she can receive email fine, but got the 0x800CCC0E error when attempting to send. no big deal right? checked microsoft's kbase and found this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300942&Product=out2K

basically says she has to use msn's smtp server. ok, so no problem. added msn's smtp exactly as directed in the kbase article. she still can't send. now when attempting to send email, she gets a login box for msn (not the normal login box). this is even after she's already logged in to dial up.

ok, well my first thought was she was entering in the incorrect pwd for her msn account as no matter what she entered, the box would not go away. so i had her call msn to get her pwd reset. no good. still gets the box. ok, the second call to msn support said she had to update her passportnet id. this did not work. they attempted to configure outlook express for pop3 and smtp with msn only. got the box there too. the only way she did not was when they configured outlook express for html mail. so they suggested we contact outlook support.

this does not seem to me like an outlook error. it's from msn. has anyone ever seen this box before? any suggestions before i go postal on msn? please oh please help save my sanity here!

the login box she is getting is attached. her pwd has been reset and works fine. why it won't log in to this box, i haven't the slightest. the msn support guy said he'd never seen this login box before and wasn't even sure what it was.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 28
Have you tried singling out outlook? Try telneting into the mail server to single outlook or msn out. Also for outgoing mail you could check and see if her ports are opened for outbound smtp and pop3 traffic. This is a bit of a puzzling situation but I hope you can figure it out.

Oh and back in the days when i had dialup when my tcp/ip settings (specifically DNS) werent setup right i would get that logon box. It never worked until i fixed my IP. Dunno if that helps your situation though since shes already online:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom