Help! I've formatted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wulphstein

Solid State Member
I own an HP pavillion 752n computer. when I formatted my harddirve, I lost my audio driver (and probably other stuff I haven't looked for). I also don't seem to have a recovery disk which I thought contained drivers. Furthermore, the backup hard drive doesn't seem to contain anything that I can use.
-Where can I get an audio driver?

Wulphstein

relax, this will be a learning experience. ;) as placebo asked, find out which soundcard u have. then just search for the driver over the net on the machine your using to post this question. first try looking for it on the manufacturers website. however - you can install the soundcard anytime, more importantly is the os. you have no bootable cd that contains your operating system??

I am using XP professional for my operating system.

I will open up my computer this evening and look for the sound card. While searching through CONTROL PANEL, I found an audio driver listing called Legacy. When I tried the website, I couldn't find anything that resembled a Legacy driver. :(

Wulphstein

From what I understand, my sound driver is either an Awe32 or Soundblaster. I tried driverguide.com but when I tried to download a file, it was a large file, about 2hours to download, but then something reset and I couldn't download the file after that. Not sure what happened. Any ideas? Should I just buy a Soundblaster audio card?

this link gives you specifications of your computer:

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/docume...dinfo&prodId=hppavilion83458&docName=bph07552

your system uses the ac97 chipset. you need to get the ac97 drivers to get it to work. it is probably going to be avance ac97 chipset. i have a hp computer that has the ac97 chipset and i used the realtek ac97 drivers on it for windows 2000...seemed to work well for me using those.

you can get avance drivers or realtek from

www.driverguide.com

signup is free, takes just a few minutes and then you can search their database for the driver.
the top address will give you any info you need for your system and it is not a soundblaster card, so dont try the soundblaster drivers :) hope this helps

After five days of trying illfated online drivers and instructions, I broke down, spent $15 bucks and bought a sound driver. I get sound now, but the volume is barely audible. I have checked all of the volume controls that I could find and all of them are at maximum. Any ideas how to get more volume? I also tried all of the plugs in the back and the one the speaker is plugged into is only one that gives sound. Help!

You bought a new sound driver?
Or card?
Assuming you bought a new card, you will need new speakers.
This is one of HP's propietary componentries.

Basically whats happend is that your original speakers arent self powered (you dont have a seperate power cord for you speakers)
The original sound card also has an internal amplifier so that the sound is boosted to the original speakers.

What you need to do:
Either:
1 - return the new sound card you got and get those drivers or,
2 - get new (powered) speakers

PS: The next time someone says dont get a HP, Don't:D

Are you psychic? How did you know my speakers don't plug in? Just kidding. Great observation! I've been using headphones, which pass the signal normally. Darn! It means another $10 bucks!!

Hi

Make sure if you have a onboard sound chip or old sound drivers to disable it either in your system settings, hardware or a jumper
on your motherboard.What soundcard do you have.And if you have soundblaster have you tried the software that came with the card for settings.
Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom