Help upgrading RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmojo

Beta member
I have an A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard. I had bought a computer with that motherboard, and it had GEIL 512x2 DDR-SDRAM ( http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=19 ).

I bought Corsair ValueSelect 512x2 RAM ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...sp?EdpNo=669468 )

The motherboard site says both those RAMs are supported. I plugged the new RAM into the 2nd and 4th slots (the only ones that were open), but when I started the PC they didn't work. I still only had 1 gig of ram, even though I could see all the details about it in SiSoft Sandra's mainboard information.

Since then I tried putting them in every position possible, and I can't get 2 gigs. Can I even do it or do they not work together?

I need help, thanks a lot.

Yeah, but thats kind of a waste right now, wait till prices drop a bit. And most game out today don't demand more than 1gb, and you won't see that big of a performance gain.

Battlefield 2 does. And I already bought it, I might as well install it.

So how do I "configure BIAS to 2 gigs"?

mrmojo said:
Battlefield 2 does. And I already bought it, I might as well install it.

So how do I "configure BIAS to 2 gigs"?

This seems like a motherboard problem, if the 2 corsair's also work together.

Try turning on DDR remaping over 4 G or something like that in your bios

This might be a weird answer, but some mobos, like my MSI, cant support 4 sticks of DDR400. it can support 4 sticks of DDR333. it was really irritating me, i thought my dimm slots were faulty, when i looked in the manual and it told me. i switched to 2x 1gig sticks and it was fine. Try looking up viable mem configs in ur manual. Doubt its the problem, but it cant hurt to rule it out

If that's the case, can't he just lower the speed to DDR333 in the BIOS? This brings up a new question though. What is faster: 1 gig at DDR400 or 2 gigs at DDR333? I think the 400 out does the 333, so hopefully something else is wrong.

Try switching the sticks around. See if your new sticks work by themselves, then mix and match or whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom