Is building a 64-bit laptop worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strategist333

In Runtime
Right now for laptops basically there are two CPUs that are somewhat on the same level--Turion 64 and Pentium M, with Pentium M slightly outperforming Turion 64. But there is one difference, however, and that is that Turion supports 64-bit Windows. Is the upgrade from 32 to 64-bit OS worth the decrease in performance? And also, by the time that 64-bit becomes fully developed, will the laptops of today still be fairly decent then?

Hmmm, intresting question, this is more an opinion question. I'd probabley go with the Pentium M, tough one though. Or don't get a laptop and get a San Diego 64bit!

If you buy a laptop right now, you will have to wait till 2007 to get 64 bit longhorn. And even then, longhorn will run on 32 bit. The performance drop both speed wise and power consumption wise is not worth the 64 bit capability of the turion. But, if your worried about $$$, get the Turion instead of the Celeron M. If your worried about top of the line battery conservatione and best performance, get the pentium m.

Just as a notice to all, I heard that Pentium M will have a 30-36% price decrease Sunday July 22 as Intel is releasing a new brand of processors. By then the Pentium M will basically match the Turions in price.

Hacp said:
But, if your worried about $$$, get the Turion instead of the Celeron M. If your worried about top of the line battery conservatione and best performance, get the pentium m.

What is a Celeron M? Same thing as Pentium M?

Yeah, I'm a bit confused about all these Intels. Pentium M, Celeron M, Pentium D, Centrino... Oh well, P4 with HT for me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom